The Athens City-County Health Department on West Union St.

Coronavirus: Athens County closes in on 600 cases

Clarification appended.

At the Athens campus, 282 students have been tested. Of those, 110 students have tested positive, and 142 students tested negative. Results for 34 students’ tests are still pending, according to OU’s COVID-19 dashboard. This data is from Friday, Sept. 18.

Twenty-four OU employees have been tested. Only one has tested positive for COVID-19, while 20 tested negative and another three employees’ results are pending.

There are two OU students living in isolation on campus. One student is quarantined and two more are waiting for test results. Of students living off-campus:

• 72 are quarantined due to possible exposure
  • 62 are in total isolation due to positive test results, or are symptomatic
  • 42 are in isolation due to positive tests results

As of Sunday, there are 597 cases in Athens County. There are also 28 hospitalizations and two deaths.

Athens County reported having 588 total cases on Saturday. Of those cases, 107 are active.

On Saturday, Sept. 12, there were 501 cases, which is almost 100 more confirmed cases than this past week. Cases are shown in the data by onset date, rather than the day they were reported, according to the Ohio Department of Health.

The highest number of cases within a week was 170 in July. There have been 96 cases between Sept. 6 and Sept. 12.

People under the age of 30 make up nearly 79% of reported cases in the county. In comparison, about 33% of cases statewide are from people under 30.

Athens County is still a level two, or orange county, on the Ohio Public Health Advisory System.

The Pigskin Bar and Grill received an administrative citation on Thursday for permitting after-hours consumption, according to a previous Post report.

On Thursday, Gov. Mike DeWine announced Athens County is one of the newest counties in Ohio to be found exceeding the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s threshold for COVID-19 incidence.

Athens County was third on the list of Ohio counties, according to a previous Post report

@ian__mckenzie

im581017@ohio.edu

Clarification appended: A previous version of this article contained a misleading headline and lead sentence. The article has been updated to reflect the most accurate information.