Photo provided by Jack Hiltner. 

MacOS Big Sur bridges gap between Apple products

For years, there have been more differences than similarities between MacOS and iOS products, but it looks like that is coming to an end. Announced June 22, MacOS Big Sur, named after the iconic California coastline, brought a slew of new features affecting both visual aspects and performance. Here are seven new features that change the game for Mac users:

7. Control and Notification Centers

After being neglected for several years, the two centers of interaction have received a facelift. Users will now be able to place widgets in their Notification Center and directly interact with Bluetooth devices with an enhanced view for Airpods Pro and other Apple devices. 

6. Safari

The built-in search engine has always been somewhat basic, but it seems as though Apple has taken a page out of Google Chrome’s book and is now allowing for a customizable experience. From a directly editable homepage to entire translations, Safari is now better equipped to handle users’ everyday needs.

5. Maps 

In 2019, Apple provided an improved maps experience by allowing select cities to have enhanced roadway and pedestrian walkway views. Since then, they have implemented guides, custom guides, routing for electric vehicles, indoor maps, live updates for a shared ETA and much more. 

4. Sign Language Recognition

In an effort to streamline accessibility in technology, Sign Language will now be recognized by FaceTime. Rather than adopting the emphasis with noise levels, signing on camera will make the user’s “box” larger, ultimately providing emphasis on what they’re signing and improving communication.

3. Privacy

In today’s ever-developing world, privacy seems to shrink as technology advances. With MacOS Big Sur, privacy is at the forefront of the upcoming release. Privacy settings for each website are readily available to users, a feature that would normally require some hoops to jump through.

2. Battery Performance

Leaving the house? You might not need your charger as often as you normally would. Through an overhaul of optimized battery charging, the new changes would learn your daily routine in battery usage and adjust how much to charge and when. Users will also be able to see 10-day trends in battery life as well as 24-hour records.

1. Messages

Whether it’s pinning important conversations in your messages or directly replying to message threads in group chats, Messages no longer feels clunky and slow. Users will now be able to mention specific people, start threads and share a personalized profile for preset contacts.

@JackHiltner

jh396418@ohio.edu

Jack Hiltner

Digital Director