Existential Binge-Watching: ‘The Boys’ are back in town and better than ever

Superheroes are seemingly everywhere these days. They’re in TV shows, movies, video games, you name it. Whether it be originals or adaptations, these various forms of entertainment all have their own unique approaches to the genre. Some go realistic, some aim for extreme comic book accuracy, and others take the more satirical or comedic angle.

Now, take any strange concoction of all these elements, mash them together, ramp them up as much as you can possibly fathom, and you’ll get the masterfully chaotic show, The Boys.

Season two of the show just dropped last week, and it brings with it everything season one had to offer, but with the added intensity of being more comfortable in its own skin. Second seasons always seem to make or break TV shows, and though we’re only three episodes in so far, season two has already established that not only are The Boys back, but that they’re here to stay for as long as they care to.

The Boys might just be one of the most accurate depictions of a superhero story ever to be released. Not in terms of staying true to its comic book source, but genuinely showing what the presence of superheroes would look like in the modern world. Which is to say they’d be gobbled up, subdued and controlled by corporate organizations, greed and politics. It’s an angle that’s never really been seen and one that feels - sadly - the truest to what would actually happen if super-powered people started popping up tomorrow.

Not to mention the inherent messiness the show covers that’s often ignored by most other superhero movies or shows. Powers aren’t always just going to knock a bad guy out, and superheroes aren’t all innately good or evil. The Boys covers it all, from the horrifying, to the truly good at heart, and every shade of gray area in between.

Which, yes, means there is a lot of violence. However, it’s warranted and established clearly from the word go in season one, so no real surprises for those who know what they’re getting into. It could be seen as excessive at times, but really, what else would you expect from a world with a sociopathic Superman wannabe or a speedster who’s hopped up on super drugs and can’t steer himself very well as he zips around the city?

The series takes scenarios you might have often theorized about in your head and brings them to life on the screen, whether it be awful or absurd. Even with added layers of comedy and not taking itself too seriously, The Boys is a show that has everything: adapted and improved elements from its comic source, gore and comedy in a constant tug-of-war for your attention, realistically layered heroes and villains and a top notch, edge-of-your-seat plot that will even have you holding back a few tears at times.

It’s everything you could ask for from a superhero show trying to stand out as unique in a market that’s getting more and more oversaturated. Plus, it’s got hilarious episode synopses to boot - no, really, read them.

The Boys alone makes an Amazon Prime subscription worth it, so be sure to check out season one, if you haven’t, and the start of season two. New episodes come out every Friday now, but don’t get too frustrated. It’s just some beautifully hectic escapism to look forward to and get you through the long weeks ahead.

Jackson Horvat is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Tell Jackson by tweeting him at @horvatjackson.