Bellion may be having more commercial success by writing and producing for other artists, but all of his own songs could and should be just as acclaimed. (Photo provided by Vancouver Weekly).

Every song by Jon Bellion, ranked

Though Jon Bellion is more well-known for being the mastermind behind several radio hits — “Holy” by Justin Bieber and Chance the Rapper, “Trumpets” by Jason Derulo and “Memories” by Maroon 5, among others — it’s time to recognize him for his own stunning discography.

Yes, it’s true we all know “All Time Low” (as everyone should), but there’s so much more to the pop and rap extraordinaire. Bellion released four mixtapes, using his own voice to create instruments you’d never hear otherwise alongside catchy melodies and irresistible lyrics, before winning a Grammy for writing the chorus of “The Monster” by Eminem and Rihanna. He shot to fame upon the success of debut LP The Human Condition and its lead single, but the king deserves even more than he’s getting.

Bellion may be having more commercial success by writing and producing for other artists, but all of his own songs could and should be just as acclaimed. He’s been in the industry for a decade now, so it’s time to reminisce on every incredible track he’s released. Here is a definitive ranking of every Jon Bellion song:

73. “D.O.P.E.” (Scattered Thoughts Vol. 1)

The instrumentation gets weirder yet better as it goes, but Bellion just sounds too monotonous. Would you still find me bobbing my head while listening, though? Definitely.

72. “A Dedicated Instrumental” (The Separation)

It’s 92 seconds of pure catchiness, but it’s also Bellion repeating the same line seven times. 

71. “Couples Retreat” (Glory Sound Prep)

This is the anomaly of Glory Sound Prep. The bass slaps, but the production otherwise, especially those breathy voices in the chorus, is a little off-putting. 

70. “Halloween” (The Separation)

The references are immensely clever, but the track’s a bit repetitive. The lyrics, “See, I need an excuse to call a couple buddies / And you need an excuse to dress a little slutty” doesn’t help its case, either.

69. “Jungle” (The Definition)

Bellion sounds like an angel as per usual, but the production is almost too subdued.

68. “The Sound Of Getting Over You (feat. Mylon Hayde)” (Scattered Thoughts Vol. 1)

This track would be great for a rave. However, there’s not a lot of substance to the lyrics.

67. “An Immigrant” (The Definition)

It’s a very sensual song about a girl who Bellion met abroad, but the production is intermittently chaotic.

66. “Shadows” (single)

The music video is iconic and definitely could’ve been made in iMovie. The harmonies in the chorus are absolutely sublime, but some of the lyrics are just laughable.

65. “Catch Me If You Can” (Scattered Thoughts Vol. 1)

He’s spitting straight bars, but it’s not even his production (see Miguel and J. Cole’s “All I Want Is You,”) and 81 seconds isn’t long enough.

64. “Make Love” (Scattered Thoughts Vol. 1)

Instead of watching the chaos of the world around them, Bellion suggests to his significant other that they just stay in the house and have sex instead. It’s a subtle jam, but there’s not much to it. 

63. “Kingdom Come” (The Separation)

This is a prime example of Bellion’s incredible production skills. The drums sometimes sound off-rhythm, yet they’re still always perfect. However, the keys are somewhat overbearing.

62. “The Good in Me” (The Human Condition)

The background vocals are a work of art, and the lyrics are straight poetry. Bellion can’t help but hook up with a woman who he knows is cheating on her boyfriend, and he begins to realize how messed up that is. The track gets better as it goes.

61. “A Haunted House” (The Definition)

Bellion is wholesomely thanking his significant other for being everything he’s ever wanted. The production is subtle and blends seamlessly with the harmonies.

60. “Weight of the World (feat. Blaque Keyz)” (The Human Condition)

The track is a great example of how religion can help some heal, and Blaque Keyz’s closing verse is absolutely bananas. The polyphonic voices at times are a little haunting, though.

59. “When the Lions Come (feat. Castro, Logic and Blaque Keyz)” (The Separation)

The features are immaculate. The guys take their respective verses to roast the music industry. Bellion’s verse, which is also the chorus, is the track’s only dull moment.

58. “While You Count Sheep” (Translations Through Speakers)

Bellion wrote this for a girl who was asleep in his studio in hopes he could inspire sweet dreams. The strings in the chorus are glorious, but the breakdown is a bit obnoxious.

57. “Let Me Know How It Goes” (Scattered Thoughts Vol. 1)

Bellion’s heavenly vocals don’t even need music — literally because it’s a cappella — as he tells a girl she’s an angel and should be with him. If this was longer than 70 seconds, it’d be insanely higher.

56. “For the Dreamers (feat. Blaque Keyz)” (Translations Through Speakers)

The chorus is a stark contrast to the remainder of the track in that it’s almost ethereal, while Blaque Keyz’ verse is more on the aggressive side. The outro, with Bellion repeating “Never wake up from your dreams” over and over, is supposed to be inspiring, but it almost comes off as creepy.

55. “Want To Be Loved” (Scattered Thoughts Vol. 1)

As the closer to his first mixtape, Bellion is beginning to question what he’s doing and hoping people will adore his project. Little did he know he’d soon become a highly sought-after songwriter and producer. The lyrics are relatable as can be.

54. “DopeLilBoy” (Scattered Thoughts Vol. 1)

Bars on bars on bars. The keys are easy to nod your head to, and it’s just a banger. That’s all there is to say.

53. “Munny Right” (The Definition)

This song is just a mood. Bellion doesn’t want to be like everyone else in the industry, instead opting to create a distinct sound, which he has done successfully. Mylon Hayde’s aggressive tone in the refrain is fantastic yet simultaneously frightening.

52. “Woke the F*ck Up” (The Human Condition)

Bellion doesn’t want to be like the rest of this pathetic society, which he sums up perfectly: “We live in an age where everything is staged, where all we do is fake our feelings.” Instead, he doesn’t hold back, choosing to tell a girl he loves her, hopefully to some avail. The acoustic version hits differently.

51. “To My Future Wife…” (The Separation)

The title basically says it all: Bellion is telling the woman he plans on marrying no matter how tough times get, he’s going to love her regardless. It’s stripped to just a piano and subtle synths in the chorus, and it’s done flawlessly.

50. “Crop Circles” (single)

Bellion’s latest track, “Crop Circles” delineates the fallout of two lovers who have lost their spark. The bass is nasty, and the use of the vocoder in the chorus is magical.

49. “Paper Planes” (Translations Through Speakers)

Bellion knows he and his significant other have a very slim chance of making it through their relationship’s rough patch, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t try. Vocally, he sounds particularly genuine here.

48. “Claps and Autotunes for Lovers” (single)

Not many people know how to use autotune to their benefit, but Bellion falls in that small group. It’s been a difficult past few months for Bellion, and all he wants to do is return home to see his girl. The harmonies, once again, are out of this world.

47. “Don’t Ask Cuz I Don’t Know” (Translations Through Speakers)

This is the song to play during the holidays when your relatives ask you what you want to do after graduation. As Bellion puts it, “I haven’t even picked out my socks / How can I tell you about my future?” It’s some nice validation that it’s OK to not know where you’re going, and the production is soothing.

46. “Cautionary Tales” (Glory Sound Prep)

A groovy guitar line leads Bellion’s third-person point-of-view tale of him revealing he still has bad days, even though he knows he’s incredibly blessed. Actor Will Smith goes ham in the chorus, and even though the track is sonically simplistic, it still has a way of enticing listeners.

45. “Wutup Snow? (feat. Blaque Keyz)” (Translations Through Speakers)

Bellion is so addicted to the connection he has with this girl that he compares it to cocaine, aka “snow.” The keys all throughout are almost comforting, and his harmonies alongside the toned down strings in the chorus are infectious.

44. “One More Time” (The Separation)

Bellion’s falsetto in the intro could probably save lives. The track is supposed to be fun and replicate the feeling of “sexual tension,” as Bellion explains in the making of the song, and it’s done faultlessly.

43. “The Right Direction (Intro)” (Scattered Thoughts Vol. 1)

Even on the opener of his first mixtape, Bellion doesn’t hold back with confidence. Writing is his therapy, and he knows he’s pursuing the right career path, despite what critics might say. The production of upbeat keys, transfixing synths and a soft choir is uplifting.

42. “Fashion” (The Human Condition)

Most of the themes of The Human Condition surround society’s present-day dependency on technology, being liked by others and craving materialistic things. This track covers all three. Though Bellion realizes how toxic society is becoming, he can’t help but join it. The outro is as dreamy as they come.

41. “Run Wild” (The Definition)

Bellion is watching a close friend go through the motions after having her heart basically ripped out of her chest. The hook, which is just Bellion showing off his range at the end of the chorus, will be stuck in your mind for days. 

40. “Superman, The Gift and the Curse” (The Separation)

While Bellion believes his music could help a lot of people, it’s not all good for him — because he’s so busy honing his craft it cost him his relationship. Believe it or not, that mystifying guitar at the end is actually Bellion manipulating his voice. Talk about talent.

39. “My Soul Back (feat. Samira Gibson & Blaque Keyz)” (Scattered Thoughts Vol. 1)

This is the textbook definition of a “feel-good track.” Bellion, Samira Gibson and Blaque Keyz all make music for their own benefit, enlivening themselves while providing outlets for others. The airy backing vocals from Gibson exemplify the incredible way music makes all three of them feel.

38. “NewYorkSoul” (The Separation)

Stripped to just piano, strings and Bellion’s desolate vocals, “NewYorkSoul” is a ballad where he finds himself homesick amid touring. No matter where Bellion goes, New York will always be a part of him. It’s wholly downcast but relatable.

37. “Come Back Down (For My Sister)” (single)

Most people can only dream of having as much of a bond with their sibling as Bellion does with his sister, Christianne Jensen. Bellion is growing up and doing big boy things, but he knows when he needs her, his sister will always be there for him. Jensen joins him in the track, and with a simple piano riff supporting them, they sound phenomenal together.

36. “Pre-Occupied (feat. Blaque Keyz)” (The Definition)

While Bellion and Blaque Keyz pay homage to the artists who shaped them, they also reflect on how they became so consumed in their music that it became their entire life. The subtle “bum, bum, bums” in the chorus are way too catchy and show just how much Bellion was meant to be a musician — because the man knows how to make the little things memorable.

35. “Waves of Loneliness” (Translations Through Speakers)

When Bellion decides to check in with his ex, he finds out she becomes quite sad when she’s alone. The supporting vocals in the chorus are impeccable. 

34. “Let’s Begin (feat. Roc Marciano, RZA, B.Keyz & Travis Mendes)” (Glory Sound Prep)

All there is to say about the features is “Good Lord.” Basically, every lyric is mind-boggling as each of the five guys share parts of their respective come-up stories. It transitions from hypnotizing synths to a breathtaking bass line, and it’s immaculate.

33. “2 Rocking Chairs” (The Separation)

Bellion just wants to grow old with his significant other, already picturing them years from now sitting on their porch in two chairs he built for both of them. The voice manipulation, which sounds like a little kid beatboxing, makes the track even cuter. 

32. “She Knows My Heart” (Scattered Thoughts Vol. 1)

Bellion appreciates his significant other for not loving him just because he’s an up-and-coming artist. The track is guided by simple drumming and a subdued pick of the bass, but they help emphasize the more important lyrics.

31. “Conversations with My Wife” (Glory Sound Prep)

Bellion wants to make sure his wife really is in it for the long haul. If he chooses to forgo his entire career one day, he wants to know she'll be there to support his decision. The track is sonically simplistic until the outro, when it explodes into a euphoric synth wonderland.

30. “Ooh (feat. Christianne Jensen)” (The Definition)

Bellion doesn’t believe this girl is from the same state as him — because he’s convinced she’s literally an angel. The strings and cheery keys add even more cheeriness to the already serotonin-boosting lyrics.

29. “New York Soul (Pt. II)” (The Human Condition)

Never has there been a better bass line in history. As a response to “NewYorkSoul,” this track represents how Bellion wants to leave everything, especially his legacy, in the place it all began: New York. He ends with some solid advice, too: “Tell ’em money is not the key to wealth / Because if it can stop the pain, how the f--- do you explain a bunch of millionaires that killed themselves?”

28. “Woodstock (Psychedelic Fiction)” (single)

Bellion discusses the iconic Woodstock music festival as well as the hippie era and both of their links to the use of psychedelics. When a girl falls asleep at Coachella, another music festival, while on acid, she wakes up thinking she’s at Woodstock, and she enters her own trippy world. The guitars, horns and strings are all too good.

27. “JT” (Glory Sound Prep)

Now that Bellion’s achieved a vast amount of fame, he’s reflecting on the days when he only dreamed of getting this far. His sister yet again makes an appearance with backing vocals in the outro as he suggests he might want to take a brief hiatus from the industry. There’s a lot going on sonically — bursts of synths and several types of guitars, among others — yet it still sounds so cohesive.

26. “Luxury (feat. Audra Mae)” (The Definition)

Though the lyrics are true to life and incredibly honest, the instrumental chorus is what makes “Luxury” stand out. Bellion even says: “The chorus an instrumental; oh, you think it’s odd? / I don’t have to give you lyrics ’cause I know it’s God / That’s why I get emotional when the chorus drops.” So do we. Audra Mae’s outro will make you feel like Winnie the Pooh when his soul leaves his body.

25. “All Time Low” (The Human Condition)

On the track everyone knows, Bellion reconnects with his ex to let her know he’s been miserable ever since they parted ways: “I’ve been trying to fix my pride, but that shit’s broken.” If that isn’t the fattest mood of all time. A beat pad has never been used better.

24. “Dead Man Walking” (The Separation)

Bellion better watch his back since this track is all about how he had sex with his sister’s best friend, and he reveals at the end his sister isn’t going to know until she hears it for the first time. His voice has never sounded so smooth, though, next to a gentle acoustic guitar. Not to mention, Bellion’s sporadic laughing all throughout is so dang cute.

23. “Jim Morrison” (The Separation

As he starts to make his way up in the industry, he’s filling the room with confidence because he knows he has what it takes. There are so many pop culture references it’s hard to keep up, yet they’re all executed so well.

22. “Overwhelming” The Human Condition)

Bellion is so in love with his significant other that everything she does and every part of her dumbfounds him. For most people, it’s only a dream for someone to think of you this highly. It’s the bass, however, that once again steals the show. 

21. “The Internet” (Glory Sound Prep)

This track holds the best lyric to come out of 2018: “No one cares if you’re happy, just as long as you claim it.” Think about that for a few seconds, and you’ll question your entire existence. Bellion claims everyone cares about how others perceive them that it’s stopping them from actually living their lives. The brass and sax make it sound jazzy and snappy, which is a perfect contrast to the thought-provoking lyricism.

20. “80’s Films” (The Human Condition)

The guitar solo that ensues right after the bridge. That’s it. That’s the tweet. The track just feels like you’re in a movie having the time of your life and finally achieving your dreams by getting to hook up with an old crush. It’s a good jam for any mood.

19. “Timeless” (Translations Through Speakers)

Amid a dream, Bellion is told his moment is coming and he’s bound to become a household name. The chorus just feels uplifting, like his gorgeous vocals could remove you from any obstacle in your way. The synths are almost eerie, but the whole track is a worthwhile journey.

18. “Something2Relax2” (Scattered Thoughts Vol. 1)

In the intro, Bellion says, “I think we need more tracks like this,” which may be the most agreeable statement he’s ever made. Guided by twinkling keys, the track is mostly Bellion repeating the title over and over excluding one rap verse. It’s simply meant to help people decompress.

17. “Eyes To the Sky” (The Separation

Bellion is enduring anxiety and stress while trying to make it as an artist. After going through a recent breakup, it’s getting harder and harder for him to see the light, and all he wants is to be content. The strings in the pre-chorus are peaceful before they transform into video game-esque beeping, and it’s so weird but so good. 

16. “Picture Frame (feat. T.J. Foscolo)” (Scattered Thoughts Vol. 1)

Bellion hasn’t seen his girl in a hot minute, and he keeps looking at pictures of them, yearning for her to be beside him. His voice sounds good with anything, but Bellion has an incredible way of sounding irresistible with a simple acoustic guitar, just like this.

15. “Morning in America” (The Human Condition)

Everyone’s going through it all the time, whether they want to admit it or not. Bellion takes this track to call out those who are trying to hide their problems and act like everything’s fine when it isn’t. Bellion’s vocals at the end of the bridge, as well as the production as a whole, are all unparalleled.

14. “Stupid Deep” (Glory Sound Prep)

This track shifts between being a piano and synth-driven ballad. Bellion is reflecting on his life thus far, and even though he’s achieved fame, there’s still a void he has yet to fill, pleading, “’Cause the hole inside my heart is stupid deep.” Everyone has definitely felt this way at some point, even when times are good.

13. “LIFE” (Translations Through Speakers)

The track shifts between the stories of two different people trying to figure out what their purpose is. However, it ends with Bellion saying, “Oh, oh, I’m just tryna figure out,” revealing the track’s actually about him. The thought-provoking keys and magnetic synths perfectly bounce off each other.

12. “Adult Swim (feat. Tuamie)” (Glory Sound Prep)

This track is practically three songs in one without a chorus, but we’re not complaining. Bellion raps the entire time, but the music randomly fades to static and keeps transforming into completely different songs with unrelated moods. Though Bellion’s known for this worldplay, this track exemplifies why he’s so clever: “I don’t feel guilty when Nike sends me some packages / We still end up in boxes even though we chase packaging.”

11. “Guillotine (feat. Travis Mendes)” (The Human Condition)

The opening verse is undoubtedly what it feels like to fall in love: gentle strings guide Bellion’s voice in before the bass line goes bananas, showing the fluctuations of intimacy. Travis Mendes, in his own right, sounds like a god in the outro. 

10. “The Wonder Years” (Translations Through Speakers)

When we’re young, we take advantage of not having to worry about the inevitable stresses of adulthood. Bellion just wants to go back and appreciate times when he was unstressed. The vocal layering at the end of the chorus is as good as it gets.

9. “Human” (The Definition)

The acoustic version is objectively better, but it’s the lyrics that will unquestionably hit home for everyone who gives “Human” a listen. Though Bellion is trying to do everything right and he’s a morally good man, he can’t help but perpetually worry it won’t pay off. Most of the time, he’s “just so sick of being human.” It might just be the most relatable song ever.

8. “iRobot” (The Human Condition)

“iRobot” depicts how he feels after going through a devastating breakup: broken, emotionless and empty, just like a droid. The track fades out with some of Bellion’s golden harmonies and dreamy yet glitchy synths that mimic the sounds of a robot coming to life. It’s hands down the most underrated track in Bellion’s discography.

7. “Mah’s Joint (feat. Quincy Jones)” (Glory Sound Prep)

Bellion is witnessing the degeneration of his maternal grandmother and how it’s affecting his mother, and he’s so deep in thought it’ll literally make your jaw drop: “Conversations with the Devil and he’s telling me / ‘What’s the point in making memories when you can’t even find them when you’re 70?’” The bridge commences with an instrumental that’s almost jazzy, which transitions into an uplifting, soothing string accompaniment that depicts what it feels like to enter heaven through Bellion’s perspective. It’s everything, basically.

6. “Ungrateful Eyes” (The Separation)

Bellion is working his way up in the industry and finding he’s still not that happy, worrying about the little things as is human nature. During a conversation with his sister, though, he comes to realize he needs to be grateful for what he has — because not everyone is as blessed. The synths feel like you’re being zipped through a look back on your entire life, and it’s brilliant.

5. “Hand of God (Outro)” (The Human Condition)

There’s no way to properly describe this song, honestly, because it is a spiritual journey. Bellion knows even when he veers off course, God has his back. A choir comes in alongside Sheldon Ray during the outro and, implementing lines from other tracks on the album, they condense the entire purpose of life to a single verse: we grow, we suffer, but in the end, we cannot control what happens to us; all we can do is try.

4.“Blu” (Glory Sound Prep)

Bellion is employing the metaphor of his lover’s blue eyes to delineate falling deeply and inevitably in love with her “just like he (God) designed me to do.” The track showcases Bellion’s incredible vocal power, too, as he lets loose with a falsetto that he is bound to “fall into your blue.” Again, it’s a love song we can only dream of someone singing us.

3. “Maybe IDK” (The Human Condition)

Though Bellion doesn’t know what’s coming next for him, he knows it’s OK because he can find comfort in his religion that will get him through it. Even if you’re not religious, you can find relatability in his fears of not knowing what the future holds, and his reassurance that everything will be all right is genuine and believable. Whether it’s the acoustic guitar, spacey synths or simply his heavenly vocals, there’s something for everyone.

2. “Simple & Sweet” (The Definition)

The lyric “this synth and just my voice is fine” is a lie. It’s more than fine; it’s more than we deserve. Behind an alluring synth, Bellion tells his significant other she doesn’t need to change a thing because she’s perfect as is. Brass comes in during the outro to jazz it up before it fades into a chaotic yet flawless mess.

1. “Carry Your Throne” (The Definition)

Bellion is telling his girl that, being the queen she is, he will do everything in his power to make sure she’s always safe and won’t ever let her go: “If you’re lost in this darkness, I will carry your throne / No, I won’t let it swallow you whole.” Between each verse, multiple voices come in and harmonize with each other, while an orchestra that has the ability to bring the dead back to life blends perfectly with Bellion’s irreproachable vocals during the chorus. Bellion has no subpar song, but this track outshines everything he’s done, even those he wrote for other artists.

@bre_offenberger

bo844517@ohio.edu