Head football coach, Frank Solich, waits to run out before the home game on Saturday, August 31, 2019.

Football: Solich updates on quarterback race, offensive line and young linebackers

Frank Solich talked to the media for 30 minutes Monday afternoon before beginning his final full week of practice before the Bobcats’ Nov.4 season opener at Central Michigan. Solich spoke on every position from the quarterbacks to the kicker. Here’s some of the highlights of what he said. 

Quarterbacks 

While freshman CJ Harris has shown flashes of promise throughout fall camp, make no mistake the man taking the snaps against the Chippewas next week in primetime will either be redshirt freshman Kurtis Rourke or graduate senior Armani Rogers. In Solich’s eyes, Rourke and Rogers are still neck and neck and it’s a possibility both could see the field next Wednesday. 

“Both of them have really strong pluses on their side,” Solich said. “And so both can be used.  Not only throughout the course of the season, but really throughout the course of the game.” 

Using two quarterbacks wouldn’t be anything new for Solich. Last time Solich faced a quarterback controversy he allowed Nathan Rourke and Quinton Maxwell to alternate snaps in 2017. Ohio still thrived, but once Rourke showcased himself to be the complete package, he won the job. 

Throughout camp, Solich has stated that Rourke’s plus is his cannon-like arm. The Oakville, Ontario native has the most arm talent of the three and he’s shifty in the pocket. Not like Rogers, though. 

While Rogers has a Division I quality arm, it’s his legs that have the Bobcat coaches excited. During his time at UNLV, Rogers rushed for 1,549 yards and 18 touchdowns. And while that rushing ability is considered a bonus, it may be deemed a necessity if the Bobcats don’t sure up some questions along the offensive line. 

Offensive line 

If there was any unit that lost the most talent, it was the offensive line. Ohio lost tackles Austen Pleasants, Marques Grimes and Steven Hayes to graduation last season and whoever fills those roles will have a large task on their hands.

Senior Brett Kitrell is the heart and literal center of the offensive line. Kitrell is expected to have a wonderful year, so much in fact that he was named to the Rimington Trophy’s watch list for the country’s best center. 

Alongside Kitrell are guards Nick Sink and Hagen Meservy, both of whom have plenty of experience and will gel nicely. But what about the guys tasked with protecting Rourke or Rogers’ blindside? 

“There’s no question about, we’re gonna be young in the offensive line,” Solich said. “... Not sure that it will be a situation where we will be as good as we won’t be in the middle of the season.” 

Brody Rodgers, Samson Jackson, Kurt Danneker each provide a bit of experience along the offensive line, but it’s definitely a position where a freshman like Joseph Habinowski could even be in the mix. 

With that in mind, a young inexperienced line means more pressure on the quarterback. Could more pressure on the quarterback mean a greater need for a mobile quarterback? One like Rogers?

“Well that’s a good point and a good question because you obviously need protection for your quarterback,” Solich said. “We have quick routes. We have bottlings, running plays that’ll take advantage of blitzes so, there’s a lot that goes on that you can help your quarterback out in terms of running and the passing game.” 

Solich is doing his best to make his offense work for Rourke or Rogers. Or maybe Rourke and Rogers. 

Wide Receivers and Defensive Backs 

One of the most interesting relationships right now during fall camp is between the wide receivers and the defensive backs. 

On one side you have the wideouts. A group of freakishly athletic seasoned players who are hungry to build off a solid last season. The trio of Cam Odom, Isiah Cox and Shane “Hollywood” Hooks is dangerous for opposing defenses. So are young guys like Ty Walton and Jerome Buckner. 

One the other side, you have the defensive backs. A group of scrappy, competitive guys eager to grow from a down year. Players like Justin Birchette, Jamal Hudson and the Motely twins Xavior and Ilyaas are hungry to improve. 

“Some of those guys got baptized last year a little bit,” Solich said. “It’s still a position that’s difficult to play.” 

If the wide receivers keep pushing the defensive backs in practice that unit could become one of the best secondaries in the Mid-American Conference. Hooks and Birchette are best friends and love pushing each other in every rep. The results have been impressive. 

Running Backs 

O’Shaan Allison was a major reason why the Bobcats’ offense was successful last season. The redshirt sophomore led the Bobcats in rushing yards (869) and was third in rushing touchdowns (6). 

But Allison has been banged up all camp. However, it’s not a major concern for the Bobats. Ohio’s running back room might be the deepest on the team. Julian Ross and De’Montre Tuggle come to mind first. Even though he didn’t say it during his presser, Solich later wanted to emphasize the growth of Ja’Vahri Portis, the redshirt senior from Cincinnati. 

Linebackers 

Not having Dylan Conner is definitely a loss for the Bobcats’ defense, but Solich has been very impressed with the group. 

“Yeah, I like the young linebacker group,” Solich said. “In some ways they’re young, but they seem to play at a level that would indicate that you know they’re smart guys.” 

Redshirt senior Jared Dorsa leads the group. But redshirt sophomores Keye Thompson and Jeremiah Wood have stepped up in the weak and strongside linebacker position respectively.  

If the linebackers can lead and play smart football, the defense will be sound. Pair that with returning defensive linemen Kai Caesar and Austin Conrad, the Bobcat defense is in the position to improve from last year. 

It’ll still take the defensive backs to have more than five interceptions, though. 

Special teams

Ohio’s all-time leading scorer is gone. Kicker Louie Zervos graduated and the special teams has to move on. Who’s going to step up to replace Zervos? 

Jonah Fortkamp and Tristian Vanderburg are the only two placekickers listed on the roster. The Bobcats hope whoever becomes the starting kicker will make his quest for Zervos’ record one point at a time as opposed to three. 

“We’re young in all three of the snapping, punting and kicking,” Solich said. “That includes kickoffs and field goals.” 

@JL_Kirven 

jk810916 @ohio.edu