Weekender Briefs: Laugh and learn at Javier Ávila’s show, tour the Athens Asylum

Friday, October 9

Javier Ávila - The Perfect Latino at 12 p.m. hosted by Ohio U Latino Caucus virtually. Come watch Javier Ávila’s new one-man show, The Perfect Latino. Exploring diversity in the United States through comedy and poetry, Ávila will deliver powerful messages about inclusion, antiracism and representation. The show provides fodder for continued conversations about the future of America.

Admission: Free

Geology Colloquium with Toluwaleke Ajayi and Hannah Bortel at 12:55 p.m. hosted by Ohio University’s Department of Geological Sciences virtually. As a part of The Geological Sciences Colloquium Series, graduate students Toluwaleke Ajayi and Hannah Bortel will be discussing their research. Ajayi will present on “Modeling of water discharge in a river impacted by acid mine drainage.” Bortel will talk about “Scallops Through Space and Time: A Study of Scallop Patterns and Consistency.”

Admission: Free

Saturday, October 10

Walking Tour of the Historic Athens Asylum at 2 p.m. hosted by the Southeast Ohio History Center at 100 Ridges Cir, Athens, OH. The Athens Asylum is one of the few Kirkbride Asylums remaining. Walk and talk with local expert and long-time Asylum employee George Eberts, exploring the grounds and stories of this historical complex. The tour will last for roughly two hours and will occur rain or shine.

Admission: $15 for Southeast Ohio History Center Members, $18 for Regular Non-Member Adults, $10 for Students with a Student ID, free for children 12 and under

11th Annual Beer and Cheese Incident at 6 p.m. hosted by Planned Parenthood of Greater Ohio virtually. Jackie O’s Brewery is selling a specially-brewed orange and ginger edition of their hazy pale ale; for every crowler sold, a $3 donation will go to Planned Parenthood of Greater Ohio. Pick up some brews and join Planned Parenthood for a virtual event that will include a game of human sexuality trivia, important updates about voting in 2020 and celebration of the Athens community.

Admission: Free

Sunday, October 11

Mixed Doubles in the Pickleball Tournament at 1 p.m. hosted by Parkersburg YMCA at 1920 Park Ave, Parkersburg, WV. On Sunday, Mixed Doubles will compete in the Parkersburg YMCA’s Pickleball Tournament. Winners will receive gold, silver or bronze medals. Families and friends can cheer for players from distanced seating.

Admission: $20

@isabelnissley

in566119@ohio.edu