Letter to the Editor: What you need to know about OU's COVID-19 testing strategy

“How can I get tested at OHIO if I have COVID-19 symptoms?” “Why is the university asking me to take an asymptomatic test?”

As special assistant to the president for public health operations at Ohio University, I’ve received these and many other questions from students, faculty and staff. It’s easy to get lost in the sea of information we’ve provided about our COVID-19 protocols, especially because the situation, and thus our protocols, continue to evolve. So it is helpful to provide an overview of our protocols here, with an explanation especially on testing procedures. 

This global pandemic presents challenges that we have not encountered in over 100 years. As we work together to respond to these extraordinary times, I applaud all the individual decisions being made to help keep our community safe. Keeping OU safe for students, employees and community members is the top priority of our testing strategy. Testing is how we identify people who have COVID-19, find potential outbreaks and prevent them from becoming bigger.

Why am I asked to take a test when I don’t feel sick?”

You may not know if you have COVID-19. Some people can be asymptomatic carriers who feel normal but still have and can unknowingly spread the virus. Asymptomatic testing means we randomly check people who feel healthy, so we know for sure that they aren’t carrying COVID-19. This is essential to keep our campus and community safe, and it aligns with Gov. Mike DeWine’s guidance for public universities.

Random testing of university students and employees allows us to do several important things: identify asymptomatic carriers who may be unknowingly spreading disease; identify hot-spots and outbreaks so we can contain them and prevent wide-spread infection; and provide a regular snapshot of how many new cases are occurring in the student population.

Students and employees who access campus resources will be randomly selected for asymptomatic testing though our partnership with CVS Health. If selected, you’ll receive an email from COVIDoperatios@ohio.edu to schedule a testing appointment within two business days of receipt of the message. When it’s time for your scheduled test, you will go to Grosvenor, follow signage to the testing site, swab your own nostril under the supervision of a medical professional and wait 15-20 minutes for the results.

What if I’m sick or have been exposed to someone who tested positive?

If you have symptoms or believe you’ve been exposed to someone with COVID-19, the first step is to call the Ohio University COVID Hotline (877-OU-COV19).

Hotline staff will ask you questions, and your answers will help them assess your symptoms or exposure and determine if you need a COVID-19 test. If a COVID-19 test is needed, the Ohio University COVID Hotline will connect with a provider who will order the test for you and provide information regarding a testing location.

What if I test positive?

If you test positive, you will be asked to isolate. The Athens City-County Health Department is the official agency that will provide your legal isolation orders, not the university. If you tested positive elsewhere, you must still call the COVID Hotline to report those results. COVID Hotline operators can answer questions and help you manage next steps, including returning back to school or work. Anything you share with the hotline in relation to your status or exposure is confidential; it cannot and will not be used in any conduct proceedings. So if you were exposed at a party, we need to know the names of other party — not so we can get them in trouble, but so we can make sure they’re OK. 

What if I was exposed?

If your exposure meets CDC criteria, if you were within 6 feet of someone with COVID-19 for 15 minutes or more, you will be advised to quarantine, which means you will separate from others for at least 14 days to see if you develop symptoms. If you are associated with contact tracing from a case investigation, the county health department will follow up with you and provide a legal quarantine order, which means that you are mandated by law to separate yourself from society to prevent the potential spread of disease.

Will I be tested?

It depends. If you have symptoms, the hotline will help arrange a test. If you are not experiencing symptoms, you won't be tested, but you will be asked to quarantine.  Why? Depending on how long between exposure and when you take the test, there can be a high rate of false negatives. Second, there is a shortage of these more accurate tests, so we save them for people with symptoms. If you’re exposed, then take a COVID-19 test that comes back negative, you cannot skip quarantine or come out of it early. Quarantine is a full 14 days, regardless of a negative test. Remember: even if you take a COVID-19 test elsewhere, it is very important that you still call OU’s COVID Hotline.

Does student behavior really make a difference?

Simply stated, yes. I understand we’re asking a lot of our students. This pandemic is wearing us all down. And, when we get tired of social distancing rules and break them, we can see a direct increase of cases in our community. If we all follow these basic steps, we have the best chance of keeping ourselves and our community safe, allowing the university to stay open, and hopefully increasing the number of students who can return to campus.

Thank you to the vast majority of our community who are wearing masks, staying physically distant, avoiding crowds, getting tested and following the protocols.  If you have questions, you can always contact covidoperations@ohio.edu. I would also be happy to talk with student groups to answer questions and provide more information. As always, find the latest COVID-19 information here.

Gillian Ice is the special assistant to the president for public health operations at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Tell Gillian by emailing her at iceg@ohio.edu.