U.S. breaks record for new COVID-19 cases in a day; here’s how students feel about OU’s Spring Semester plans

Today is Friday, Nov. 6, 2020. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

As the holiday season draws near, the coronavirus pandemic is continuing to impact hundreds of thousands of Americans. On Wednesday, in fact, the U.S. reported its highest number of new COVID-19 cases in a single day.

According to data from Johns Hopkins University, 102,831 new coronavirus cases were reported on Wednesday. Health experts have predicted for cases to hit over 100,000 soon, but many are surprised that threshold has already been hit.

Over the past week, new cases have increased by 21%. Testing, on the other hand, has only increased by 4.52%.

The jump in cases also set record highs for daily case onsets for sixteen individual states, including in Ohio. 

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Here’s a look at Athens’ own El Camino and how it’s operating during COVID-19. (The Post)

Ohio University students share their thoughts on the university’s Spring Semester plans. (The Post)

Ohio University has seen a decline in its energy use this semester as a result of lowered density on campus. (The Post)

Podcasts from The Post:

Hosts Riley Runnells and Bre Offenberger cover the intersection of political and entertainment news in this week’s episode of Stay Tuned. (The Post)

Athens Weather

It’s another beautiful fall Friday in Athens! The high for the day is 70 degrees and clear skies are expected throughout the day. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

A judge in Michigan dismissed Trump campaign’s lawsuit over the state’s ballot counting, saying there is no legal evidence for the suit. (Detroit Free Press)

Kosovo President Hashim Thaci, who fought for the nation’s independence from Serbia, resigned after being indicted for war charges. (NPR)

A poll worker in St. Charles, Missouri, died of COVID-19 after working on election day while positive for the virus. (St. Louis Post Dispatch)

@abblawrence 

am166317@ohio.edu