Cutler Hall on Ohio University's campus in Athens, Ohio. (FILE)

Students react to OU announcing residential students can return in spring

Correction appended.

First and second-year students at Ohio University have split opinions about whether or not to return to campus in the spring following a university announcement that residential students will have the option to live on-campus next semester.

The university anticipates that approximately two-thirds of students will opt to return. Some students are excited at the notion of a more normal college experience, while others are wary of the feasibility of having students return during a pandemic.

Airton McGrath, a freshman studying astrophysics, is wary of the plan to bring more students back to campus with the recent jump in coronavirus cases in the U.S.  McGrath originally came to campus this fall, but returned home after just three weeks once his classes went fully virtual. He does not plan on returning to campus in the spring. 

“I don’t think it is a good idea,” McGrath said. “COVID rates are going up just among the 30% (of students) back, and COVID rates continue to go up nationwide.”

Coronavirus cases peaked at the university approximately two weeks after the integration of Phase 2 students, according to Dr. Gillian Ice, special assistant to the president for public health operations. However, the number of new cases has since subsided — a supposed testament to OU’s use of safety measures to get case numbers under control.

The university believes that with increased testing, case management, contact tracing, quarantine and isolation housing, and hybrid course modalities, it can keep COVID-19 numbers low among a greater number of students returning to campus. 

Every student will be required to have a COVID-19 test upon arrival at the beginning of the semester, and are required to have weekly tests done during the semester. Five residence halls have been designated for quarantine and isolation space. 

Students who opt to remain off-campus in the Spring Semester who originally planned on living in dorms will receive a room and dining plan exception similar to this fall. Despite the university’s two-year on-campus residential housing requirement, students who remained home due to the pandemic would be eligible to move off-campus their junior year, making them exempt from having to complete the housing requirement.

Some students are excited at the opportunity to obtain a sense of normalcy and have the college experience by going back to campus in the spring. Kaelyn Walther, a freshman studying journalism, has been studying from her home in Pataskala, Ohio, this fall, and plans to live on campus for Spring Semester. 

“I, personally, am glad to be going to campus. The main influence I had was the fear of missing out on campus life seeing as all of my high school friends that went to other colleges are living on campus,” Walther said. 

However, her decision was not without difficulty, as Walther’s mother is immunocompromised and more susceptible to the coronavirus. This means that aside from the danger of visiting while in school, should Walther contract the virus, she would not be able to return home.

Kendra McKitrick, a freshman studying geography, feels similarly conflicted about returning next semester. She worries about the potential for a large outbreak with so many students on campus and the ability of the school to handle it. 

“Personally, I am choosing to move to campus, but it comes with a lot of worry. I am very scared for my own safety and well-being,” McKitrick said. “I do feel more comfortable about going back with mandatory weekly testing, though.”

However, like Walther, McKitrick is hopeful for a more independent college experience where she can meet new people and form new memories. 

“I really want the campus experience,” McKitrick. “I’m 18 and a freshman, and I am at the point in my life where I need independence and new experiences. I also think my motivation will increase a lot when I’m in an academic environment.” 

@sophielisey 

sy951319@ohio.edu  

Correction appended: A previous version of this article stated OU students would be required to live in a dorm at least part of their junior year, but with the exception of the pandemic, students are able to move off campus without having to fill the two-year on-campus housing requirement. The article has been updated to reflect the most accurate information.