Malls prepare for socially distanced Santa Claus; OU sends cease and desist letters to Sigma Kappa sorority, Phi Delta Gamma fraternity

Today is Wednesday, Nov. 18, 2020. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

Santa Claus is coming to town — but you can’t sit on his lap this year.

Thankfully, the jolly old man won’t be taking a break from COVID-19. Naughty or nice, children can still tell him what they want for Christmas this year — just from 6 feet away while wearing a mask. Malls across the U.S. are announcing pandemic changes for the Santa experience, including online reservations to cut down lines, plexiglass shields and even placing faux gift boxes and other decorations to keep children from charging Old Saint Nick.

Due to the pandemic, many holiday shoppers will choose to online shop for all their gift needs. Malls, which have struggled to attract people for years, are relentless to kill the Santa tradition that lures 10 million households during the holiday shopping season.

“Santa is the magnet that attracts people to malls, and without that attraction, malls will struggle more to generate foot track,“ GlobalData’s managing director Neil Saunders said. 

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Ohio University sent cease and desist orders to Sigma Kappa sorority and Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity. (The Post)

The Kennedy Museum of Art is continuing to bring people together virtually. (The Post)

A 10 p.m. will begin throughout the state of Ohio on Thursday. (The Post)

Athens Weather

It’s going to be a beautiful fall day in Athens. Today will be sunny with no precipitation and a high of 47 degrees. The low will be 29 degrees in the evening, so don’t forget your jacket when stepping out. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

Pfizer announced Monday that Rhode Island, Texas, New Mexico and Tennessee were chosen to launch the COVID-19 vaccine delivery program. (Local DVM)

Lil Wayne was charged Tuesday with one count of possessing a firearm and ammunition as a felon. He faces up to 10 years in prison if convicted. (The New York Times)

Twitter introduced a feature called Fleets, allowing users to post photos or text that disappear after 24 hours. (The New York Times)

@maadilewellyn

ml203417@ohio.edu