Photo illustration of beard-grooming after conditioning it throughout No-Shave November.

Many observe No-Shave November

As 2020 comes to an end, many are wondering how the rest of the year's traditional events will continue.

Activities such as Thanksgiving and Black Friday stick out as major events this month, but another also happens to occur this fall: No-Shave November. 

The event’s goal is to grow out men’s facial hair for an entire month. Men who participate go without shaving or trimming their hair. The observance was started to bring awareness to cancer patients and has fiercely grown since its inception. 

Ayden Crowley, an Ohio University student, is participating in No-Shave November. 

“It’s interesting to see that it came from a place of good intentions,” Crowley, a freshman studying journalism, said. “I never knew that was the reason it was started.”

In fact, many men had no idea that the creation of this event was based around support for cancer patients who lose hair due to chemotherapy and other cancer treatments. 

“I had no idea it came from that and it makes me happy to know that it did,” Noah Morris, a freshman studying journalism, said.

Through No-Shave November, many people have donated money as well as hair to show solidarity to men who have lost hair when treating cancer. 

Men’s health tends to go unrecognized in the discussion of health and wellness. No-Shave November marks a month to show support for men who deal with the struggles of cancer.

“It’s really nice to see the origins are in a good place,” Crowley said. “(It brings) awareness to something that’s really important, especially for men.”

While the month brings a serious issue to light, it also brings humor to the cause as well.

“It’s funny to see who’s doing it and who’s not, it’s even better to know that it’s for a good cause,” Morris said.

For many college-aged men, this is their first time discovering what facial hair they can grow. 

“(No-Shave November) is pretty funny,” Crowley said. “(This) was the first time I ever figured out I could grow a mustache, so that’s pretty funny.”

Megan Zuendel, a recent OU graduate and hairstylist, enjoys the humor in the month as well.

“I think it’s not only really important to highlight men’s health, but also to make it fun in the process,” Zuendel said.

Even though the pandemic has changed how men shave, many are still continuing to participate in this event.

“I have shaved during quarantine, but this month I plan on not shaving and I feel like a lot of other guys will do the same,” Morris said.

Men across the globe have already begun to participate in No-Shave November, showcasing and supporting men's health.

“I can’t have crazy facial hair for my job, but I do hopefully plan on donating money now that I know it's for such a good cause,” Crowley said.

But not only do men participate in the event — some women do as well. 

“I feel like for women, it’s different, but maybe not shaving their legs and donating the hair on their head is a good way to show support and solidarity,” Zuendel said.

Though No-Shave November is ever-changing, its message to support men has stayed the same. 

“It makes the month seem all the more interesting and cool,” Zuendel said. “I know a lot of people who have suffered from cancer and it’s good to know that support can come from even the simplest of things.”

@abby_brown20

ab852019@ohio.edu