Pfizer coronavirus vaccine shows promise; Ohio University introduces new housing advisory plan

Today is Tuesday, November 10, 2020. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

A coronavirus vaccine, the “holy grail” of 2020, may finally be within reach. On Monday, Pfizer Inc., an American pharmaceutical company, announced their results from an early coronavirus vaccine trial heeded positive results. In the collaborative effort with BioNTech, the success rate measured 90% in virus infection prevention

“Today is a great day for science and humanity,” stated Albert Bourla, Pfizer’s Chief Executive. While the trials expressed positive results, whether or not vaccines will be readily available depends on getting proper authorization within the U.S. Should the vaccines be approved come December, 25 million people may have access to proper vaccinations. 

Manufacturing has already commenced and distribution prioritization talks range from who, when and where. In the U.K., the discussions have centered around the elderly, healthcare workers and anyone over 75 years old to receive the vaccines first.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Ohio University is rolling out a new plan for student coronavirus safety. (The Post)

Read what’s next for college and county Democrats. (The Post)

Here’s how COVID-19 is affecting OU’s funding for academic scholarships. (The Post)

Athens Weather

Summertime in November? Looks like it. Today’s high will be 77 degrees with partly cloudy skies. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

The U.S. has surpassed 10 million coronavirus cases, spikes 18% in infections. (SFGate)

Deforestation in the U.S. matters, here’s why. (CNN)

Kamala Harris’ ancestral village watched the election closely, and for good reason. (NPR)

@JackHiltner 

jh396418@ohio.edu 

Jack Hiltner

Digital Director