Weekender Briefs: Learn about speleology, support Athens County Child Advocacy Center

Friday, Nov. 6

Colloquium: How Caves Gather: An Ode to Speleology at 12:55 p.m. hosted by the Department of Geological Sciences at Ohio University virtually. Learn about speleology, the study or exploration of caves, with Maria Perez. A passionate researcher, Perez discusses the diversity of caves, the range of explorations and the interdisciplinary nature of the field. Perez illustrates these points with cases from Venezuela and Cuba, whose speleologists push the boundaries of the "for what, how, and for whom" of speleology.

Admission: Free

Virtual Shabbat at 6 p.m., hosted by Hillel at Ohio University via Zoom. Join OU Hillel for a student-led, virtual Shabbat. Although the event is online, students are still encouraged to lead prayer, offer a D'var or contribute musically.

Admission: Free

Saturday, Nov. 7

Passion Works Pop Up at 12 p.m. hosted by Passion Works Studio at 20 E State Street. Visit Passion Works Studio for a socially-distanced pop-up sale in their parking lot. This event features the work of local artists and, of course, Passion Works.

Admission: Free

Third Annual Harvest Hoedown at 3 p.m. hosted by Athens County Child Advocacy Center virtually. Support the Athens County Child Advocacy Center at their fall fundraising event. Although virtual, participants can still view “the cow plop” and hear remarks from some friends of the center.

Admission: $25

Sunday, Nov. 8

Beginner Knitting at 1 p.m. hosted by Community Makerspace - UpCycle Ohio, 751 W Union Street. Create a dishcloth while learning the basics of knitting with Nadine and Nancy. During this three hour class, participants will learn how to cast on, knit, purl, increase and decrease. Each participant will leave with the knowledge of how to create a useful item and a set of knitting skills. Participants should bring 1 ball of worsted cotton yarn and size 7 knitting needles. Kits are available for purchase before class.

Admission: $25 for non-members, $15 for members

Beginner Crocheting at 4 p.m. hosted by Community Makerspace - UpCycle Ohio, 751 W Union Street. Learn to crochet with Nadine and Nancy. During this class, participants will learn the basics of crochet and, in the process, produce a scrunchie. Skills such as creating a slipknot, chain, single crochet and double crochet will be taught. Participants should bring approximately 100 yards of worsted weight yarn and a size F or G crochet hook. Kits are available for purchase before class.

@isabelnissley

in566119@ohio.edu