Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine

Coronavirus: Ohio governor announces initial plans for COVID-19 vaccine distribution

Gov. Mike Dewine announced the state’s plans to distribute Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine in a press conference Friday afternoon. 

The first shipment will arrive around Dec. 15, and DeWine tweeted the state will expect another shipment on Dec. 22. A third round will come a few days later.

Of the first shipment, 88,725 doses will be distributed to Walgreens and CVS to go to care facilities, such as nursing homes, group homes and assisted living facilities, according to a tweet from DeWine. An additional 9,750 doses will go to hospitals, which will vaccinate those dealing with COVID-19 patients. Patients and staff at psychiatric hospitals, and EMS workers, will also be part of the first distribution phase, called Phase 1A. 

The second shipment of vaccines from Pfizer will tentatively contain 123,000 doses and will go to Walgreens and CVS to be distributed to congregate care facilities. The last shipment will contain 148,000 doses from Pfizer and 89,000 doses from Moderna.

In a graphic DeWine posted on his Twitter account detailing the plans for Phase 1A, it notes that vaccines will be administered to those who choose to receive it. 

“Vaccines: The plan for vaccine distribution will continue to be fine-tuned, (but) objectives are 1. To save lives 2. Slow the spread of the virus 3. Ensure those on the frontline receive the vaccine quickly,” DeWine said in a tweet. 

Health care experts and state leaders are also working to determine what the other groups will look like for vaccinations. There have been discussions of vaccinating inmates and staff in Ohio’s prisons and jails, as well as essential workers like grocery store employees. However, some on Twitter are calling for teachers to be among the first to receive a vaccine. 

“We're in a very dangerous situation, & I think we can all agree that we can't let our hospitals get to the point where healthcare is threatened,” DeWine said in a tweet. “The curfew, mask-wearing, retail inspection have helped, but they haven't helped enough. We'll have to do more. We don't have a choice.”

@E_SkidmoreGS

es320518@ohio.edu