The Athens City-County Health Department on West Union St.

Coronavirus: Several local pharmacies to begin offering COVID-19 vaccinations

Several Athens pharmacies will begin distributing the COVID-19 vaccine the week of Jan. 18, expanding vaccine distribution within Athens County. 

Kroger Pharmacies, Shrivers Pharmacies and Hopewell Health Centers in Athens and Nelsonville will offer limited numbers of the vaccine to those in Phase 1B, which includes people age 65 or older and those with a congenital disability, according to a press release from the Athens City-County Health Department.  

Contact details for COVID-19 vaccination providers can be found at the coronavirus.ohio.gov website.

The health department and OhioHealth O’Bleness Hospital are already partnering to provide vaccine clinics at the Ohio University Heritage College of Medicine building, 191 W. Union Drive. Initial efforts, county-wide, will be focused on those 80 years of age and older, according to the release. 

The COVID-19 vaccine comes in two doses. If you receive the first dose of the vaccine, you will need to return to the same location to receive the second dose at a later date. If you choose to receive the second dose at a different location, you should contact your first vaccination provider to let them know. 

For information regarding COVID-19, contact the Athens City-County Health Department at 740-592-4431 or visit the health department website at www.athenspublichealth.org.

@NolanSimmons37

ns622217@ohio.edu