4 popular fashion trends to try this semester

The second semester is underway, and now is the time to reflect on hopes and goals you have for the weeks ahead. These can include finding your own style, whether that be regarding academics, clubs and organizations or fashion. College is the time to experiment and test out different styles until you eventually stick with one. 

Quarantine has kept us cooped up inside in sweatpants and T-shirts for too long. No matter if you are on campus or not, you can still dress to impress for virtual classes, walks around campus or a casual work day. 

Here is your guide of four popular fashion trends to fit any and every type of student: 

Style #1: Academia 

The first style on this list is perfect for back to school. Academia refers to a group of aesthetics that involves learning and studying. Academia fashion could also be described as preppy or school girl fashion. Not only does this style look polished and professional, but it can also be used as motivation for studying. Who wouldn’t want a book in their hand with these looks?

Some standout pieces to include in this style are trench coats, blazers, pleated trousers and tennis skirts. There are also many style icons to look up to, including Anna Taylor-Joy in Netflix’s The Queen’s Gambit and characters from Gossip Girl. Harry Styles’ wardrobe can also be used as inspiration. Some of the best stores for academia fashion are Brandy Melville, Urban Outfitters and ASOS (especially for trench coats).

Style #2: Y2K

What was cool in middle school is officially back on trend. Taking influence from late ’90s and early 2000s fashion and culture, Y2K fashion is more popular than ever. For a more in-depth guide and outfit examples, check out the guide to becoming a Y2K princess

Celebrities to look to for inspiration are Paris Hilton and Britney Spears. Essential pieces to include in your wardrobe would be low rise jeans, platform wedges, bucket hats and tracksuits (bonus points for a Juicy Couture suit). Lastly, some of the best stores to shop for Y2K are Dolls Kill and Amazon (specifically for crop tops and sweaters).

Style #3: Grunge/Vintage

Another throwback style, grunge can also be seen in today’s trending fashion. The style gained momentum in the early ’90s and was heavily influenced by grunge music. This included music from popular bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam. 

Some of grunge’s essential pieces are flannels, ripped jeans, combat boots, graphic tees (bonus points for concert tees) and a denim or leather jacket. The best places to get throwback tees would be local thrift stores, but stores like Nasty Gal, Adika and Zumiez also have a great selection. Drew Barrymore, Kurt Cobain and Winona Ryder can all be used as grunge inspiration for the perfect and casual look.

Style #4: Streetwear

This style option is inspired by the street style of Los Angeles skaters and surfers, also influenced by hip-hop fashion of New York City. Streetwear is similar to grunge fashion in regards to being laidback and effortless. Grunge, however, is edgier and darker in style.

Streetwear brands have been around since the ’80s, but more recent style icons to look up to are Kendall Jenner and Hailey Baldwin. Must-have pieces include oversized jackets (motorcycle, leather, sweatshirt), bike shorts, graphic tees, patchwork denim and athletic jerseys. Like grunge, thrift stores are the best places to get popular streetwear. However, PacSun, Nasty Gal and ZAFUL are great for a put-together look that appears effortless. 

@hannahcmpbell

hc895819@ohio.edu