Joe Biden will be inaugurated as the 46th president of the US; Ohio volleyball will begin its season Friday

Today is Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2021. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris will be inaugurated Wednesday at 10 a.m. The 46th president of the U.S. will be sworn in on the west lawn of the U.S. Capitol. 

Instead of the usual parade, the Bidens will be arriving at the White House with a presidential escort consisting of representatives from each branch of the military. A “virtual parade” will be televised at 3 p.m. and feature communities across the country. A virtual light ceremony will also take place to honor American lives lost due to COVID-19 at 5:30 p.m. 

The National Mall has become a “Field of Flags,” as close to 200,000 flags were placed Monday to create an art display representing the people who are unable to attend the inauguration because of the COVID-19 pandemic and security measures.

You can watch the Inauguration of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris live on YouTube using this link

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

OU announced Tuesday it is planning for a virtual spring commencement. (The Post)

Ohio volleyball will be returning to the court Friday for its season opening match against Central Michigan. (The Post)

Looking for some inspiration in the New Year? Here’s six books to get you started. (The Post)

Athens Weather

Today will be mostly cloudy with no precipitation. The high will be 34 degrees, and the low will be 25 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

Olivia Rodrigo’s “driver’s license” debuted at No. 1 on Billboard Hot 100 and is officially the most-streamed and top-selling song of the week. (Billboard)

Twelve National Guard members were removed from the inauguration secret mission, including two who were sent home after vetting for extremist links. (ABC News)

Bachelorette couple Dale Moss and Clare Crawley announced their separation Tuesday. (Cosmopolitan

@maadilewellyn

ml230417@ohio.edu