Photo provided via Haley Swaino.

CLDC hosts bi-annual Career and Internship Fair

Wednesday, Feb. 10, Ohio University's Career and Leadership Development Center (CLDC) hosted their Spring Career and Internship Fair. For years, the CLDC has proudly hosted this bi-annual event. 

Katie Hankins is more than familiar with this popular event, as she is the events and recruitment coordinator for the CLDC. 

In addition to providing career coaching and workshops, the CLDC hosts career fairs where candidates can connect with employers looking to hire for jobs and internships,” Hankins said in an email. “The Spring Career and Internship Fair brings together employers from various industries and students from all academic backgrounds.”

CLDC’s Career and Internship Fairs have served students in many ways, offering them great opportunities and networking. This semester, the CLDC decided to still host their event in a virtual format.

“This year, due to the pandemic, the CLDC is hosting the event through Handshake's virtual career fair platform, where students can connect with employers through video, audio, and chat,” Hankins said in an email. “Students can sign up for 30-minute group sessions and 10-minute one-on-one chats with companies that interest them.”

From 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., students were able to explore different job/internship opportunities in the online sessions they registered for. 

Though things may look different right now, the enriching experience the fair provides has kept companies coming back to participate for years.

“Over 80 employers are registered for the Spring Career and Internship Fair, including Cedar Point, Sherwin-Williams, and Enterprise,” Hankins said in an email. “The virtual environment has also attracted employers from out of state who might not have made the drive to Athens, such as the Hershey Company based out of PA!”

Since it is online, some students may have been wondering if the usual amount of companies and businesses would be in attendance and available to them. With over 80 employers, finding sessions to attend was not difficult.

As the Assistant Vice President & Executive Director of the CLDC, Imants Jaunarajs is also quite pleased with this semester’s turnout.

“We have a great employer turnout once again this spring,” Jaunarajs said in an email. “82 employers representing a variety of industries will be recruiting students from all majors.”

In September, the CLDC hosted the Fall Career and Internship Fair virtually as well. Before the pandemic caused most events to convert to virtual formats, these fairs were held in the Baker Ballroom. Though it may feel different in comparison to the busy, social aspect, there are some pros to be noted about the virtual event.

Connecting with recruiters virtually can feel more personalized, since students are signing up for employer sessions in advance,” Hankins said in an email. “This gives candidates more time to research companies and prepare questions ahead of time.”

Katie Hankins can also recall the perspective of a student who had participated in the fall fair.

“Rileigh Dozer, a College of Business junior who attended our fall career fair commented, ‘It was very clear to me that this method of searching for internships and jobs and interviewing was more personal and created a welcoming environment,” Hankins recalled in an email. “Each session I attended was one-on-one, which made connecting and asking questions less stressful.’”

The CLDC Career and Internship Fairs are not just for those in search of immediate internships or work. The CLDC welcomes all Bobcats, encouraging them to get the most out of it that they can.

Students and alumni from all academic backgrounds are encouraged to participate in the Career and Internship Fairs,” Hankins said in an email. “First-year and second-year students can use the career fair as an opportunity to explore industries, while upperclassman and graduate students can network to find a job or internship.”

During such a unique time, where it may feel more difficult to find work and internship opportunities as a student, the CLDC hopes students take advantage of every opportunity available to them right now.

“We always encourage students to engage,” Jaunarajs said in an email. “This is not the time to give up or wait for the economy to rebound, it's more important than ever to engage early and often in career development.”

The CLDC drives all they do with this goal in mind: “Early, Often, and Forever.”

“I attended multiple online one-on-one meetings from the CLDC's career fair today,” Dylan Ball, a fifth-year studying information and telecommunication systems, said in an email. “Progressive Insurance, Labcorp, Trace3, Ethos Group, and Amazon.” 

Ball is no stranger to all the CLDC has to offer, as he has been taking advantage of all he could since his early years at OU. 

“I've been involved with the CLDC since my Freshman year where I attended and completed my leadership certificate,” Ball said in an email. “In the following 4 years, I have attended just about every career fair offered.”

In attending the bi-annual event, he has had a great amount of exposure and opportunities to network through the fair. Ball has found going the extra mile to be of benefit to him.

“I think that it is a great way to explore what jobs are available within your interests and the companies that are looking for the talent and knowledge you possess,” Ball said in an email. “At an absolute minimum, it's a great way to get your name out there and connect with alumni who are already in a professional career.”

No matter the student’s year, academic background or achievements, it is never too early to start networking and really building your professional platform.

“I implore all underclassmen to check out the career fair as much as they can throughout their time at OU,” Ball said in an email. “Add as many people as you can on LinkedIn you never know what might lead to an internship or job.”

For those who did not attend Wednesday’s fair, the CLDC offers many more events to get involved in this semester.

After the Spring Career and Internship Fair, the next upcoming event is the virtual Diversity First Showcase on March 9, where students can network with diversity-centered employers,” Hankins said in an email. “Undergraduate students from underrepresented populations are also encouraged to apply for over $30,000 in awards, which will be presented at the event.”

Besides the special events they host, the CLDC continues to offer virtual career coaching through appointments. As all of their events have taken to virtual format currently, students can sign up and get involved on Handshake.

@SwainoHaley

hs130219@ohio.edu