The John Knouse Ground Hog Hike photo booth at the start of the Baker Preserve Trail in Athens, Ohio.

Ground ‘Hug’ Adventure celebrates 18th year and founding member of Athens Conservancy

Celebrating its 18th year, the John Knouse Groundhog Hike will take place from Feb. 2 through Feb. 14 and be a “hike-it-yourself” event with trail options at Baker Preserve and Strouds Run State Park. 

In the past, the hike has taken place typically on a Sunday prior to Groundhog Day. The group would take on a few different hikes and end the day with a potluck. 

“We would rent the shelter house and provide lots of food,” Jackie Fokes, vice president of Friends of Strouds Run, said. “It was a big social event with families and kids.”

Both Friends of Strouds Run and the Athens Conservancy have been working together to put this event together for the past 18 years. This is largely due to one of the founders of both organizations being the creator of this event. 

The hike this year is in honor of that founder, John Knouse, a local trail blazer and conservationist. After struggling with illness for the past year, Knouse died on Jan. 9.

“This hike was his baby, it was his signature event for the Athens Conservancy and for the Friends of Strouds Run,” Barbara Flowers, a board member for the Athens Conservancy, said. “John’s been a tremendous force behind local land protection and recreational trails.”

During his time with Friends of Strouds Run and the Athens Conservancy, Knouse produced numerous field guides about Athens and the surrounding area. 

“He had an extremely wide breadth of knowledge on plants,” Fokes said. “He produced Athens Outdoor guide which is an extremely detailed and thorough collection of all the places you can go and be immersed in the outdoor activities in Athens and the surrounding county.”

This year, the hike will take on a different format that allows everyone to remain safe and socially distanced. The three trails will be open for people to hike on their own time from Groundhog Day to Valentine's Day. 

The first trail is the Blackhaw Accessible Trail at Strouds Run State Park which is a 1-mile loop, begins at the Bulldog Shelterhouse and is one of the easier trails. The second trail is the Mythical Tree Trail at Athens Conservancy’s Baker Preserve. This trail is a 1.7-mile loop. The final and longest trail is the Liar’s Ridge Trail at Baker Preserve which is a 2.3-mile loop. At Baker Preserve, they’ve even constructed a photo frame for people to take pictures with.

Anyone who goes on the hike, snaps some photos and submit them on social media using #GroundHugAdventure will be entered into a drawing for one of three prizes. 

“One (prize) is a very large framable map that John Knouse had created: a very detailed map of the area and all the trails,” Fokes said. “The second is a gift certificate to Donkey Coffee and another one to Kindred Market.”

Although the hike may not be as social an event as in the past, both the Athens Conservancy and Friends of Strouds Run are hoping people will take the advantage to experience nature in the area. 

“We want people to go out and enjoy themselves,” Flowers said. “Check out our preserves, and that includes OU students.”

This event provides students the opportunity to explore the area, especially if they’ve yet to have a chance to visit Strouds Run State Park or the Baker Preserve. 

“I plan to take part in the hike to meet others who enjoy hiking and to enjoy the many trails that we have in the area surrounding Ohio University,” Alex Hines, a freshman studying history, said in a message. “Each of these trails are beautiful and a joy to hike in any weather.”

For those interested in taking part in the hike, there is more information on maps and how to register through this google presentation

@acarter3602

ac732319@ohio.edu