Facebook cuts back on political news feed; Life for OU students in quarantine dorms is different

Today is Thursday, February 11th, 2021. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

Facebook announced Wednesday that it will temporarily show a select group of users less political content on News Feed for users in certain countries.

This announcement follows another from last month, when Facebook stated that they will no longer recommend political groups to users following the insurrection in the U.S. Capitol. Facebook was used as a platform to organize the riot and these actions have been a response to that event.

This announcement continues the debate on freedom of speech on digital platforms and social media services. With the removal of Parler last month from digital distribution platforms, the alt-right and conservative demographics feel as if their speech is being targeted. Companies such as Facebook and Google state their reasoning behind this decision is to stop their platforms from being used to organize violent gatherings. 

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Read what life is like in a quarantine/isolation dorm. (The Post)

Read more about the many Valentine’s The Post has. (The Post)

Here are some unique recipes to make in an air fryer. (The Post)

Athens Weather

It’s going to be a little warmer as today will be a high of 31 degrees with a chance of snow. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

Prosecutors in Georgia open a criminal investigation into Trump's attempt to influence election results. (CNN)

A WHO expert snaps at Biden over an investigation into COVID-19's origins. (CNN)

At least 10 people charged in the Capitol siege are blaming Trump for their involvement in the attack. (Business Insider)

@JordanE42800656

je563817@ohio.edu