The Cat's Cradle: Skyward Sword HD is a promising remaster

The recent Nintendo Direct conference brought several updates and announcements, though the most exciting is the HD Remaster of “Skyward Sword.” A new addition to a long line of remasters and re-releases, “Skyward Sword” is coming to the ever popular Nintendo Switch.

HD Remasters are a dime a dozen now with “Demon Souls” and the “Master Chief Collection” being boasted as the perfect entry and a new way to experience a classic. Though, most of the time, these console re-releases are old titles, with a new coat of paint and that isn’t a bad thing. 

Remasters are a great opportunity to experience a game for the first or thirtieth time on the newest form of hardware. Though there is the caveat that it’s all for money — and always has been — there is no reason to not enjoy a game that you missed completely the first time.

Recently, Nintendo did a similar remaster with “Super Mario All-Star 3D” where three classic 3D Mario platforms were bundled together. The inclusion of Each game is significant to the collection, but the adaptation of “Super Mario Galaxy” is a feat on its own. 

Being one of two flagship titles of the Wii, “Super Mario Galaxy” used the Wii motion controls to an amazing effect. Though accidents were a common outcome, the game not only pushed the limitations of the system but demonstrated the capabilities of full motion controls.

On the Switch, these controls transfer over nicely, using the Joy-cons and extra buttons to enhance the game. Therefore “Skyward Sword HD” will be an impressive title for the Switch. Not because it’s a cash-in, but a well-defined port of a classic.

Skyward Sword” was originally released in 2011 with the newest Wii gadget, the Wii Motion Plus. Giving complete control of Link’s sword, the player could swing in eight directions and stab enemies. This created a varied series of encounters that not only tested the player's combat skill, but quick-thinking as enemies' weak-points became diagonal lines or pinpricks in armor.

“Skyward Sword” was the last of the traditional Zelda titles to be released. Following a story that took place at the earliest point of the timeline, Link navigates ten varied dungeons and amasses an array of gadgets. 

Meanwhile, the most recent entry “Breath of the Wild” completely re-invented the formula to have smaller dungeons and a wider open world. Though it’s critically lauded and loved by fans, some argue it has departed the traditional Zelda formula found in “Skyward Sword.”

However, the main draw of “Skyward Sword” is the graphics. “Skyward Sword” is the third in a line of visual departures for the Zelda series. Beginning with “The Wind Waker” which had a cell-shaded style to “Twilight Princess” which had a hyper-realistic style. 

Skyward Sword” carries on this tradition with a water-color palette. Landscapes and distant horizons are detailed with the thickest of brushes, giving the world a near ethereal quality that should be experienced.

For those who have a certain aversion to motion controls, “Skyward Sword HD” will release with the sword attacks mapped to the right-analog. This is a fascinating inclusion since directional sticks are relegated to the camera or fighting game inputs. To have this level of control in hand will make for interesting casual and speed-running experiences. 

Given this, “Skyward Sword HD” is an exciting development regarding Switch Library, since a classic title is given new life with a well-tuned control scheme. While fans of a more conventional Zelda game have a new way to enjoy an old game. 

Benjamin Ervin is a senior studying English literature and writing at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk more about it? Let Benjamin know by emailing him be425014@ohio.edu.