A house with a for rent sign located on East Stimson Ave.

$100 million for rent and utilities relief available to Ohioans

Ohio is now distributing $100 million in federal funding to help Ohioans pay for rent and outstanding utility bills during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

The new wave of funding is specifically targeted to assist Ohioans who do not own their own property and are at risk of eviction. Assistance can be used to pay outstanding rent and utility bills extending back to March 13, 2020. 

Once outstanding payments are fulfilled, Ohioans may apply for future assistance with utilities or rent for three months at a time. 

The funding will be divided among Ohio’s 47 Community Action Agencies. Citizens must contact their local community action agency to apply. 

The Hocking Athens Perry Community Action, or HAPCAP, announced Tuesday “each county in HAPCAP’s service area has a Community Resource Navigator who will be able to help guide those seeking assistance through the program’s application process.”

In order to be eligible to receive funding, citizens must be below 80% of their county’s median income level, have experienced financial hardship due to COVID-19 and demonstrate risk of homelessness or housing instability. Median income level is determined by county and household size.

When applying, Ohioans should be prepared to provide names, dates of birth and social security numbers/cards for all household members, current or previous addresses and any supporting documentation demonstrating need, according to the Ohio Development Services Agency website

To receive rental assistance, applicants will need to provide their total amount due, landlord contact information and lease/rental agreement. 

Hocking, Athens and Perry County residents in need of assistance may contact HAPCAP’s main office at 740-767-4500 to schedule an appointment. The community action agency’s website also provides information about the program. 

“We’re just recommending everybody that needs help, if they contact us, we’ll work through with them if they are eligible and what they’ll need,” HAPCAP Director of Community Services, Jessica Stroh, said.

According to a press release from the community action agency, funds are available for a limited time, so eligible residents are encouraged to reach out and apply early.  

@sophielisey

sy951319@ohio.edu