Here's the Tea: Ohio Senate Bill 27 is intrusive

Women’s health is continuously debated within big white buildings between people, mostly men, in two-piece suits. One issue that is on the hot seat all the time is abortions. Some politicians feel that abortions need to be limited, and Governor Mike DeWine is part of this group.

As people said goodbye to 2020, Governor DeWine was busy signing Senate Bill (SB) 27, also known as “The Unborn Child Dignity Act,”  into law, which becomes effective April 6, 2021. This bill is appalling and another example of the government trying to limit women’s rights.

The bill requires the cremation or burial of fetal remains only from women who have received surgical abortions. This is an unnecessary emotional toll on women. The decision to have an abortion does not come lightly, and to force women to go through more emotional turmoil is inhumane and insensitive. 

The new law gives women the right to decide which method they prefer and the location for the disposition. If women choose not to exercise this right, it is up to the abortion facility to determine the method. Not only are abortion facilities left to select the method, if applicable, but they also have to pay for the cremation or burial. Clinics already face barriers such as the requirement to have a written transfer agreement with a hospital no farther than 30 miles. In adding another unnecessary expense, some clinics may be forced to close down, which leaves many women with fewer choices. 

If women choose a different disposition place than the one established by the clinic, they have to cover the costs associated with the disposition. The average cost of an abortion is between $550-$1,100. Since no state funding can be used to cover an abortion, such as Ohio Medicaid, many women are left paying out of pocket. The price range for direct cremation in Ohio is between $600-$4,000. With this new law, women in Ohio could pay between $1,150-$5,100 for an abortion. This further marginalizes low-income women from receiving care.

The attempts to constrict and control women’s bodies are neverending, and Governor DeWine is relentless in placing restrictions on women’s right to an abortion. Senate Bill 27 has many consequences for patients and clinics. The new law shames women who seek abortions and when it comes to healthcare, no one should ever feel ashamed or stigmatized. 

Iana Fields is a sophomore studying English creative writing at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Iana? Tweet her @FieldsIana.