student jobs

Shively Grab N' Go’s reopening makes available 60 additional shifts for student workers

Ohio University’s decision to reopen Shively Grab N’ Go to alleviate the long lines at dining halls has added 60 open shifts for students looking for work. 

The university opened the Grab N’ Go in January after students reported standing in up to hour-long lines at the campus dining halls. OU released an app, OHIO EATS, the same day, allowing students to pick up meals from several places on campus. 

“I know a lot of people are looking for jobs, so it would be beneficial for everyone involved,”  Lily Biros, a sophomore studying journalism, said.

Biros initially intended to work off campus this semester, but was only able to find on-campus jobs. She described the off-campus job market as  “cutthroat.”

With the addition of the Shively Grab N’ Go positions, there are 860 available culinary shifts for student workers, Gwyn Scott, associate vice president of auxiliaries, said in an email.

Scott said the Culinary Department is taking steps to advertise the benefits of their positions to students, hoping to fill more shifts.

“In order to employ more students, we are leveraging multiple approaches to recruit students, such as promoting the pay structure, the flexibility of venue locations, hours and days of work, the varied types of positions, large banners and flat screen ads across campus, social media and utilizing communication in the Keeping Bobcats Informed and the Parents and Families letter from the Dean of Students,” Scott said in am email.

Likewise, the Housing and Residence Life is working to keep its department staffed. 

“Housing and Residence Life continues to recruit and employ talented student leaders in a variety of on-campus employment opportunities,” Jneanne Hacker, director of business and conference services, said in an email.

Hacker said that, although Housing had experienced a reduction in students coming to campus, any staff member wishing to come back to campus was offered continued employment. 

“We are fully staffed for spring semester but will continue to assess and evaluate the need to onboard additional staff,” Hacker said. 

@colleenbealem

cm832719@ohio.edu