The perfect Valentine’s Day gift based on your partner’s love language

This Valentine’s Day, we’re not following the golden rule of treating others how you want to be treated. Up your gift-giving game this year by giving a gift that speaks your sweetheart’s love language. 

What is a love language? In short, it’s the distinct way that each individual receives love. In the book, The 5 Love Languages, Dr. Gary Chapman presents the idea that there are five different ways we receive love: words of affirmation, acts of service, quality time, receiving gifts and physical touch. 

Chances are, what speaks to your partner’s heart is not a life-sized teddy bear or a box of chocolates. Take this quiz (or have your significant other take it) to see which love language best speaks to you or your partner’s heart. Not sure how to translate your partner’s love language into a gift? No worries. Here’s the perfect V-Day gift guide that’s anything but traditional:

Words of Affirmation

For those who feel the most loved by receiving words of affirmation, it’s important to first realize that this goes beyond just giving compliments. Show your word-nerd some love by putting some deeper feelings on paper this V-Day. 

Handwritten love letter, poem or journal

Text messages can get buried, but a love letter will withstand the test of time. Express your feelings on paper, and your partner will be re-reading it for days (or months) on end. 

Add some spice to your written affirmations by crafting an original poem that showcases your love. The more creative you can get with it, the better. Since they likely have a love for written communication, you could also buy a journal for them and write out some prompts or a special note on the first page. 

Acts of Service

Someone whose love language is acts of service is going to really appreciate their significant other going that extra mile to do a simple task for them. If this sounds like your partner, putting in the time to take something off their plate this V-Day will resonate with them more than anything else. You could make them breakfast in bed, finish a chore for them or even give them a day without any worries or responsibilities.  

Treat them to a spa day or massage

The person who feels the most love through acts of service is likely someone who’s overworked, and probably stressed. AKA, they are probably in need of a massage or day at the spa. Treat them to a massage at home or give them a gift card for a day at the spa, and they’ll appreciate it more than you know. 

Quality Time

Your partner feels connected to you the most when you two can spend quality time together. No, this doesn’t mean you’re off the hook by settling in for a night of Netflix and chill (unless, of course, that’s what they want). Plan an evening doing an activity they love, whether that’s treating them to nice dinner or doing something adventurous. 

Date jar 

Because quality time is so important to your loved one, show them that you want to keep things interesting this season by gifting them a jar full of folded-up sticky notes with date ideas written on them. Whenever you two can’t decide how to spend your time, have them pick out a sticky note. It’s the perfect way to avoid the “what should we do tonight?” question, all while showing them how meaningful it is to spend quality time together.

Receiving Gifts 

Not to be confused with materialism, someone whose love language is receiving gifts puts a lot of value in the symbolization of presents. Doing something small, like picking up their favorite candy or randomly giving them flowers is what shows them you care. Those with partners who have this love language arguably have the most freedom when it comes to Valentine's Day. Gift your Valentine little things throughout the upcoming weeks “just because,” to show you love them. 

Basket full of their favorite things 

Because you’re likely giving this person little gifts all the time (or you should be), go above and beyond this Valentines Day. Show them you care by filling a basket full of their favorite things. Price isn’t important here, the key is having a solid meaning behind each gift. Bonus points if you throw in a practical gift, so they think of you every time they use it. 

Physical Touch 

This form of love language relies on physical touch to convey heartfelt emotions. Physical contact is what shows them you care, so don’t shy away from it this V-Day. If you’re not one to typically show love through physical touch, make the extra effort to prioritize some skin-to-skin contact this Valentine’s Day. 

Those with this love language appreciate holding hands in public, cuddling up on the couch to watch a movie, spontaneous massages and any other sensory ways to show you care about them. 

A fuzzy blanket or jacket

Show your loved one you care by giving them a super soft blanket or jacket. Choose a material they love, or the softest material you can find, and they’re guaranteed to love it. It’s a way to surpass their expectations and show them you know they love physical touch. 

@BussertMaddie

mb901017@ohio.edu