O'Bettys Red Hot at 15 W State St.

Late night eateries in Athens begin returning to normalcy

Late-night eateries in Athens have stayed afloat during the pandemic due to grant money and the removal of curfews in Ohio. 

While the curfew was in place, businesses had to operate during limited hours and were not able to stay open as late. Several local restaurants were struggling to stay afloat due to COVID-19 restrictions, according to a previous Post report. As of Feb. 11, Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine lifted the statewide curfew. 

O’Betty’s Red Hot, located at 15 W. State St., was one of these businesses. Tracy Duncan, general manager at O’Betty’s Red Hot, reported a 70% drop in sales comparing December 2020 to December 2019. The eatery received a CARES Act grant and its second Paycheck Protection Program loan to manage the effects. 

According to the U.S. Small Business Association, the Paycheck Protection Program, or PPP, is a loan designed to provide direct incentive for small businesses to keep their employees.

“I don't know how many businesses could survive that kind of a hit without some kind of financial assistance,” Duncan said in an email. “February 2021 sales are only down by about 50% of February 2020 sales, so maybe we are at least beginning the long haul back to business as usual.”

Union Street Diner, located at 70 W. Union St., also utilized grant money to survive the turbulence of the pandemic. The business took PPP grants and employee retention credits, as well as using larger credit lines from the bank. The grants allowed the diner to increase wages and create four jobs, Timothy Carman, co-owner of Union Street Diner, said in an email. 

Both Union Street Diner and O’Betty’s Red Hot closed during Ohio University’s winter break. Union Street Diner closed for one week in December so workers could see family safely during the holidays, Carman said in an email. O’Betty’s Red Hot closed for three weeks.

“There didn't seem to be a lot of people in town and it wasn't worth the overhead costs just to stay open,” Duncan said in an email. “We used the time to get caught up on more renovations inside the restaurant.”

Grub-n-Go, located at 11 W. Union St., also closed briefly in December and January for the holidays. Unlike Union Street Diner and O’Betty’s Red Hot, Grub-n-Go is a newer business in Athens. It hasn’t received any grant money during the pandemic either.

“You have to spend more to make more,” Todd Thompson, owner of Grub-n-Go, said. “Keep your margins slim to compete with everybody else.”

The removal of the curfew means these eateries will be able to adjust their hours. Union Street Diner plans to slowly ease their way back into their old 24/7 schedule.

“We will be pushing our hours later as we feel safe to do so/have the staff to handle it,” Carman said in an email. “We really are moving slow and cautiously and rather be a couple weeks behind everybody else to see how things work out … Once the staff is vaccinated we will probably move to more hours, but I don't see 24/7 until the fall.”

Additionally, businesses are glad to have OU students back on campus for the Spring Semester. Thompson said he expects traffic to increase “dramatically” once more students return, in addition to the curfew being lifted.

“We are definitely going to be better off now that curfews have been lifted,” Duncan said in an email. “Students, alumni, OU faculty and visitors have always contributed greatly to our success, but I can't emphasize enough how much our loyal, year round Athens' residents have supported us these last 17+ years.” 

@CSchiopota

cs123719@ohio.edu