Billionaire MacKenzie Scott marries Seattle science teacher; The Ohio Valley Museum of Discovery takes permanent residence on Columbus Road

Today is Tuesday, March 9, 2021. Here’s what you need to know.

Good morning, 

MacKenzie Scott, a philanthropist and one of the world’s richest people, has officially re-married. She married a Seattle school teacher named Dan Jewett. Jewett publicly acknowledged their marriage March 6 on the couple’s Giving Pledge webpage. Giving Pledge is an organization committed to philanthropy by encouraging the world’s richest people to give a majority of their wealth to charitable causes. 

In 2019, Scott divorced Jeff Bezos, ending a 25-year-long marriage. Bezos is the founder of Amazon and one of the world's richest men. Scott’s incredible fortune comes from the divorce settlement. According to Forbes, Scott currently holds a $53 billion fortune after receiving a quarter of Bezos’ Amazon shares. 

Scott is dedicated to donating most of her fortune and has already given away billions of dollars. In December, she donated $4.2 billion to 384 organizations. Scott will continue her philanthropic ways by being thoughtful and not stopping until the safe is empty. Jewett plans to follow in her footsteps by giving away a majority of his wealth as well.

News from The Post:

Read about the most recent Athens City Council meeting. (The Post)

The Ohio Valley Museum of Discovery takes permanent residence on Columbus Road. (The Post)

Here’s everything you need to know about the latest The Bachelor episode. (The Post)

Athens Weather

Go outside today and soak up the sun. The high today will be 64 degrees and partly cloudy. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

According to the CDC, people who are fully vaccinated can gather without masks. (Associated Press)

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s interview with Oprah on Sunday night drew 17.1 million viewers. (CNBC)

Apple discontinues the iMac Pro. (CNN

@colant_juliana

jc079419@ohio.edu