Cutler Hall on Ohio University's campus in Athens, Ohio. (FILE)

Two OU fraternities receive cease and desist notices, under investigation

Two Ohio University fraternities received orders to cease all activities in early February after the university received allegations of the groups risking the “health and safety” of their members. 

The fraternities — Delta Tau Delta and Alpha Phi Alpha — received cease and desist letters from Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Community Standards and Student Responsibility Taylor Tackett on Feb. 9 and Feb. 8, respectively. Not only did the allegations leveled against both groups jeopardize members’ health, but they violated the Student Code of Conduct, according to the letters.

The Office of Community Standards and Student Responsibility has initiated investigations into both fraternities, and members will be required to appear in the investigations.  

Neither group is permitted to meet in any capacity during the investigation, according to the letters. Both were required to provide OU with a full list of their membership, a list of those who dropped out of the bid process and why and all big/little pairings by Feb. 11. 

Delta Tau Delta additionally had to provide a full list of those who attended a gathering at 84 Mill St. the weekend of Feb. 5-7. The list was requested due to “the health/safety concerns over the pandemic” and was due by Feb. 10, according to the letter. 

The investigations come after all Interfraternity Council chapters were suspended over hazing allegations in October 2019. 

OU cannot release additional details at this time, university spokesperson Carly Leatherwood said.

@abblawrence

am166317@ohio.edu