Body cam footage of the Ma’Khia Bryant shooting has been released; Doug’s Carryout is hosting fun weekend events

Today is Thursday, April 22, 2021. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

Per the Daily Beast, The Columbus Division of Police has released bodycam footage capturing the shooting of 16-year-old Ma’Khia Bryant in the city’s southeast side by a police officer. Following the shooting, Bryant was taken to Mount Carmel East in critical condition where she was later pronounced dead.

Police were sent to the area after a caller reported that females were trying to stab them. The body cam footage appears to show Bryant attempting to stab two people with a knife before the officer opens fire, hitting her with three shots. 

Columbus Mayor Andrew Ginther tweeted Tuesday that, “A young woman tragically lost her life.” During a later news conference Ginther said, “We know based on this footage the officer took action to protect another young girl in our community.” 

Members of Mothers of Murdered Columbus Children have since gathered in the area holding signs reading, “enough is enough” and, “Black kids matter.” Protestors have gathered outside the Columbus Division of Police downtown headquarters as well. 

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Damon Krane is running as an independent for a position on city council. Find out his platform and about the upcoming election in general.  (The Post)

Doug's Carryout and Grocery is hosting events this weekend, including a cornhole tournament and a community clean up. (The Post)

Earth Day is coming up, here are some fun things to do while showing the planet some love. (The Post)

Athens Weather

The temperature is going back up after a cold snap. Expect the weather to be partly cloudy with a chance of rain and a high of 48 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

Russia announced that it is leaving the International Space Station. (The Daily Beast)

Netflix’s stock price is tumbling. (MSNBC)

Prince Harry has returned to California following Prince Philip’s funeral. (Fox)

@JordanE42800656

je563817@ohio.edu