D.C. begins its route to statehood; a virtual reality major may come to OU

Today is Friday, April 23, 2021. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

The United States House of Representatives passed a bill on Thursday that would give the status of statehood to Washington, D.C. While D.C. remains home to just over 700,000 people, it has remained a democratic priority for years now as the political demographics align with that of the party.

While democrats won the White House, Senate and House of Representatives, assuming a majority in the already razor-thin margins of the Senate was difficult. The bill requires 60 votes from the Senate to pass, and not even all democrats are on board.

Similar legislation was passed in the House a year ago, but during the time of a republican senate majority and ultimately stopped there. Democrats argue that granting statehood to the D.C. area would promote racial equity as D.C.’s voters of color are disenfranchised at a disproportionate rate.

Democrats argued that the Constitution states “no taxation without representation,” and believe that’s exactly what’s been happening in D.C. The legislation would rename the area, “Washington, Douglass Commonwealth” named after civil rights leader, Frederick Douglass. The move is unlikely to pass in the Senate as democrats need 10 republican’s support, and so far have none.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

The Board of Trustees is voting on whether or not to create a program designated to VR (The Post)

OU Softball is going head-to-head against Ball State. Here’s what you need to know: (The Post)

Athens Weather

Grab another layer. Today’s high will be 61 degrees and partly cloudy. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

An Indonesian submarine has gone missing and the clock is ticking down (BBC)

A hospital in Italy has accused a long-time employee of not actually working for 15 years (BBC)

President Biden has set a climate goal following re-entry to the Paris Climate Accords (Earthjustice)

@JackHiltner 

jh396418@ohio.edu  

Jack Hiltner

Digital Director