From the Editor’s Desk: Goodbye from the 2021 ‘Post’ graduates

The semester is winding down, and it’s time for the seniors at The Post to graduate next week. While The Post will still publish its annual photo issue next week, these seniors will all be moving on from their time with the publication.

So the best way to say goodbye is to reflect and reminisce about the memories made at The Post. Here are some of the graduating seniors favorite Post memories: 

Sam Smith, columnist:

Participating in The Post’s live coverage of the 2020 General Election was an exhilarating experience that I will carry with me throughout my life. In many ways, the night was the explosive culmination of months of pre-election speculation, preparation and anxiety. Being part of The Post’s “behind the scenes” coverage helped channel my nervous energy into religiously tracking and mapping Ohio’s election results. Furthermore, because the pandemic had required that I spend most of my time at The Post working remotely, that night was the first time I had the great fortune of working in-person with The Post’s incredible staff from all its sections. Seeing everyone flying around the newsroom to do their part to create what amounted to excellent political coverage gave me an enduring respect for the publication of which I was part.

Midge Mazur, anything and everything:

My favorite memory with The Post is getting to meet so many amazing people make lifelong friends. I’ll never forget the long late nights or the coffee runs with my pals. The Post gave me a voice and motivation to create. I would not be the person I am with the skills I have learned if it weren’t for this student paper. 

Baylee DeMuth, managing editor:

I’ve made so many incredible memories in Athens, some of the best working for The Post. These past four years, I’ve gained such integral journalism experience through this student media outlet that I can’t even begin to put into words how grateful I am for it. Every interview, transcription and long night spent creating content for The Post makes me who I am today. 

I’ve also met some of my best friends through The Post, which makes saying goodbye to a publication I care so much about that much harder. Thank you to The Post for being such an influential part of my college years. I’ll miss it wholeheartedly.

J.L. Kirven, sports editor 

My favorite memory with The Post was covering the NCAA Tournament. Until that point, I had covered so many awesome sporting events in The Convo, Peden Stadium, Bob Wren Stadium etc. but knowing that I was one of the first Posties in nearly a decade to cover Ohio in the Big Dance was truly an honor. It was so much fun to explore Indiana and see Assembly Hall, Hinkle Fieldhouse and cover the game with some of the best in the business. There’s no way any of that would’ve been possible without working for The Post

Molly Schramm, editor-in-chief

I formally said goodbye to The Post in my last From the Editor’s Desk column, but I can always take the time to reminisce about this publication. It’s too hard to sum my favorite memories up into a concise paragraph, but all of them involve the wonderful people I’ve worked alongside with in the newsroom. Whether it’s curling up on the couches and watching movies or spiraling on YouTube as we made the paper late at night, looking back on my time at The Post will always be dominated by good memories. Once again, so long The Post, and congratulations to my fellow graduating Posties. 

Erin Gardner, culture writer 

The Post has given me incredible opportunities to write about important issues within Athens county. There’s nothing quite like seeing your name in print. Thank you! 

Molly Schramm is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University and the editor-in-chief of The Post. Have questions? Email Molly at ms660416@ohio.edu or tweet her @_molly_731.