The Athens City-County Health Department on West Union St.

Coronavirus: County reports 84 new cases, 1 death

Clarification appended.

Athens County reported 84 new cases last week, bringing the total to 4,958 cases. The county remains in the red zone for virus spread and exposure. 

Ten hospitalizations and one death were reported due to COVID-19. The death toll currently stands at 54. 

So far, 9,359 Athens residents have received at least one dose of a coronavirus vaccine. A total of 5,458 citizens are fully vaccinated. 

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine visited Ohio University’s Heritage Hall on Monday on his tour of Ohio vaccination sites. DeWine watched as students received their vaccinations and encouraged as many people as possible to get vaccinated. 

“Our way of getting back to normal is through the vaccine,” DeWine said. “It’s our only way to get back.” 

DeWine also announced last week via Twitter that COVID-19 restrictions will be lifted once there are 50 cases per 100,000 people for two weeks.

OU reported a daily positivity rate of 1.1% among students last week. Currently, six of the 29 residence halls are at the orange alert level for virus exposure and spread. Hoover House has the highest seven-day positivity rate at 3%. 

5.04% of isolation space is in use on campus, as is 2.32% of quarantine space. 

@sophielisey

sy951319@ohio.edu

Clarification appended: A previous version of this article contained an incorrectly stated quote from Gov. DeWine. The article has been updated to reflect the most accurate information.