Photo provided by Ohio State Highway Patrol

Nelsonville police officer dies in car crash

Nelsonville police officer Scott Dawley died in a three-vehicle car crash Tuesday while responding to a call. 

The Ohio State Highway Patrol received the call at 2:35 p.m. and responded to the intersection of W. Canal Street and Myers Street in Nelsonville, according to a release from the Ohio State Highway Patrol.

“In honor of the life and service of Nelsonville Police Officer Scott Dawley, all U.S. & Ohio flags shall be flown at half-staff on all public buildings & grounds in Athens Co. & at the Statehouse, Riffe Center, & Rhodes Tower effective now until sunset on the day of his funeral,” Gov. Mike DeWine said in a tweet.

Dawley was traveling on W. Canal Street toward Myers Street when he hit a truck driven by David Rardain, 55, at the intersection. The crash caused Dawley’s car to go off of the left side of the road, while Rardain’s truck went into the opposite traffic lane and hit a car containing John Carter, 80, the driver, and Ginny Carter, 79, a passenger, according to the release.

“This is a tragic event, and I can’t even begin to express how sorry I am for Scott Dawley and his family,” Scott Fitch, Nelsonville Police Chief, said in a release from the Nelsonville Police Department.

Dawley was transported to OhioHealth O'Bleness Hospital where he died due to the injuries sustained from the crash. Rardain was flown to Grant Medical Center via MedFlight. John Carter and Ginny Carter did not sustain any injuries from the crash.

The crash remains under investigation by the Ohio State Highway Patrol. Fitch and Nelsonville City Manager Scott Frank asked for privacy for Dawley’s family at this time. 

@mayacatemorita

mm294318@ohio.edu