Pondering with Patterson: Music shows are on their way back

The anticipation leading up to a concert is unlike any other. Receiving the confirmation screen and holding the tickets in hand (or adding them to your digital wallet) make the show and excitement all the more real. Concerts keep us spinning, They’re rejuvenating and frankly, it’s a lot of fun to see a show. Live music is on its way back, and working together to ensure that it’s able to stay is imperative. 

Many shows initially scheduled for Summer 2020 are living to see Summer or Fall 2021 reschedule dates. While it is tricky planning around a likely more open summertime show and possibly being left with a jam-packed Fall date, it is essential to keep an open mind while trying to make it work. Artists are just as desperate for live music as fans are, and working with rescheduling for safety or abiding by the implementation of new health and safety guidelines are small prices to pay for the experience of a live show.

Safety precautions do not stop with simply rescheduling. Many venues and artists have specific protocols to ensure both the safety of themselves and fans. Cleveland’s Blossom Music Center features a “Plan Your Visit” tab on Live Nation’s website, providing specific health and safety guidelines. The guidelines state that attendees must provide printed proof of full vaccination, or of a negative COVID-19 test result no more than 48 hours prior to the event. While the guidelines are subject to change, they apply to Maroon 5 on Thursday, Dead & Company on Sept. 7, Jimmy Buffet on Sept. 25 and Dave Matthews Band on Sept. 29. 

Similarly, indoor arenas such as Cleveland’s Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse and Columbus’ Schottenstein Center have also implemented health and safety protocols.  Both venues also require that masks are worn indoors regardless of vaccination status. 

Locally, Stuart’s Opera House provided a COVID-19 update stating that effective today, proof of full vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test result within no more than 72 hours prior to the event is required. Masks are also required within all Stuart’s Opera House spaces. The Union shared an Instagram post, announcing that effective Aug. 13, a valid form of identification and proof of full vaccination or a negative test result within 48 hours will be required to enter. “We were closed for 14 months. We don’t want to cancel any more shows. We are going to do everything we can to keep safely hosting shows. Thank you for understanding. Please get vaccinated,” wrote the statement on the Instagram post. 

No matter where you may travel to see a show, it is necessary to view the health and safety guidelines for the specific venue or artist. It’s important to abide by these guidelines and to be respectful of the health of other fans, artists, staff and crew in order for live music to be possible. While it is both extremely exciting and also relieving to see rescheduled shows and entirely new concerts occurring, working together must be done continuously. Do the work, and enjoy the show. 

Lauren Patterson is a junior studying journalism. Please note that the views and ideas of columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Lauren? Tweet her @lpaatt.