stir fry

2 simple meals for apartment living

Moving into an apartment usually means cooking every meal yourself for the first time. Generally, apartment housing at the university means limited kitchen and refrigeration space. Added to that, most people aren’t generally well versed on ingredients and cooking techniques. It’s surprising how many people can’t list any seasoning other than salt and pepper.

Because of this, simple recipes that use common ingredients are some of the best things to start with. Ease of prep is certainly beneficial, too. Here are two recipes that meet those requirements:

1. Patty Melt

A patty melt is quintessential hangover food at its finest. It combines the filling red-meat of a hamburger along with the greasiness of a grilled cheese.

Patty melts come in all shapes and sizes but this one is simple. It uses only basic ingredients that anybody would have lying around the house/apartment.

Ingredients

2 slices of bread of choice (great with white bread)

¼ lb. of ground beef, lean

¼ of an onion, thinly sliced

2 slices of yellow American cheese

1 Tablespoon of butter

Mayonnaise for spreading

Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

First, take the ground beef and form it into a ball. Take two pieces of parchment paper (use paper towels if you don’t have parchment paper) and smash the ball between the paper.

Take the thinly sliced onions and press them into the hamburger patty. Sprinkle pepper on both sides of the patty. Salt is rarely necessary, as the cheese is often salty enough to account for its absence; however, add salt if you prefer.

Fry the patty on both sides in 1 tbsp. of butter until the hamburger reaches desired done-ness.

While frying, prepare two slices of bread by coating one side of each piece with mayonnaise. Mayo helps to toast the bread.

Place cheese on each side of the bread. Inclose the hamburger patty between the two slices of bread. 

When toasting the sandwich in the skillet, it’s best to use a paper towel and remove the excess grease from frying the hamburger. Frying meat on a skillet normally causes it to char, which will result in burnt bits encrusting themselves on the bread

Toast both ends of the sandwich until they are golden brown, the cheese is melted and the hamburger patty is hot. 

pattymelt.PNG

2. Potato Soup

Potato soup is a meal that is best for cleaning out leftover ingredients in the refrigerator. About any type of meat or vegetable can be put into a potato soup, and they always result in something filling. This soup is a basic one with a cheese/milk based broth.

Ingredients

3 medium large russet potatoes, peeled and diced

1 diced onion

2 diced carrots

2 diced stalks of celery

1 clove of garlic, grated (optional)

½ lb. of cured protein of choice (ham, breakfast sausage, bacon or tofu for plant based)

1 ½ cups of milk 

2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese 

1 ½ cups of broth (chicken or vegetable) 

Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions: 

First, prepare all the ingredients

Take the protein and brown it in a pan. If it’s fatty, start on a low heat and let the fat render. If it’s not fatty, add 2 tbsp. of oil and fry on medium heat. Once browned, remove meat from the bowl and set aside.

Add every vegetable except potatoes into remaining oil and saute until soft. Add salt and pepper to taste. Once soft, return the protein back into the pan. 

Next, add in the chicken broth. After the broth is added, pour in water until covered. Don’t worry, the salt from the cured meat and flavors from the vegetables should flavor the added water. For a richer soup, only use chicken broth.

Bring the pot to a boil and then add in the potatoes. Boil until the potatoes are just beginning to break apart. Take off heat to cool to warm. 

Once the soup has cooled to warm, add in the milk and cheese. Turn on the heat and stir constantly until hot. Do not let the soup boil at this point, as it will separate the milk. 

potatosoup.PNG

@JordanE42800656

je563817@ohio.edu