Kanye West’s 10th studio album, ‘Donda,‘ dropped on August 29. 

Album Review: ‘Donda’ stands as an imperfect but strong album

The tortured artist is one of the longest standing tropes in popular culture. This character is someone who excels in his/her field but battles inner demons who are as consuming as the character’s art is brilliant. The tortured artist exemplifies the idea that great art comes from great suffering, or in simpler terms, no pain, no gain.

There are few who fit this character description like Kanye West does. While he’s experienced the fantastical heights of success that most people can only dream of, his career also has valleys, slumps and tribulations that no one would want to experience.

His breakout single, ”Through the Wire,” is built on the tragedy of a horrific car crash in 2002. One of his most influential and divisive albums, 808s & Heartbreak, was emotionally fueled by the death of his mother Donda West and the end of his engagement to fiancée Alexis Phifer. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was a triumphant comeback from his interruption of Taylor Swift at the 2009 VMAs.

This pattern is relevant and important because Donda, his latest album, is largely about tragedy in West’s life. After all, this last year has seen West lose a presidential bid, have a public mental health episode and divorced from his longtime wife, Kim Kardashian. Just like previous works too, Donda’s release was frustrating for fans.

Conception and release 

It would be an understatement to say that Donda has had an untraditional release. The album was first slated for release last year on July 24, but it never materialized. For much of last year, there was doubt and skepticism if the album would ever be officially released.

Skepticism over the release continued this year, but fans became hopeful as West slated the album for a July 23 release. Again, it did not materialize but fans were able to attend large listening events where West played drafts of the album. If unable to make the events in person, it was possible to stream the listening parties over Apple Music.

The listening parties drew record streaming numbers on Apple Music and raked in millions in merchandise purchases. Each event was different and had different versions of songs as if West was showing off draft after draft of his pending project to a live audience. Just like the pre-release of Yeezus, there were intriguing fashion pieces and performance art up at the listening parties which set the internet ablaze.

Ultimately, the album would be released on Aug. 29. West claimed that the album was released without his permission by Universal and publicly demanded to have “Jail Pt. 2”, which controversially features DaBaby and Marilyn Manson, back on the album which has drawn the ire of some listeners.

Donda has features from big-time producers and performers like Jay-Z, Playboi Carti, The Weeknd, Baby Keem, Travis Scott, Jay Electronica, Young Thug, Kid Cudi, Roddy Ricch, Ty Dolla Sign, Don Toliver, Mike Dean, Mia Wallace, Warryn Campbell and many more.

This is one of West’s longest albums to date with 27 songs, amounting to an hour and 48 minutes of music. Here are six of the most notable tracks:

“Hurricane” ft. The Weeknd & Lil Baby

“Thousand miles from shore, I can float on the water/Father, hold me close, don’t let me down/I know you won’t.” -- The Weeknd.

A calm, mysterious beat and vocals by The Weeknd, Lil Baby and West tell a tale of redemption and reflect on guilt from prior mistakes. 

The Weeknd sings a chorus that describes being left in the dark and finding an inner light in God. The metaphor of walking on water and surviving a storm is a clear story of surviving difficult times with the help of personal strength and God’s salvation.

The first verse with Lil baby focuses on him reflecting on his life and how far he’s come despite the challenges of his upbringing. West’s verse is focused on the guilt and blame he feels for the end of his marriage with Kim Kardashian.

“Fiendin’ for some true love, ask Kim, ‘What do you love?’/Hard to find what the truth is but the truth was that truth suck.” -- West.

“Believe What I Say”

“I ain’t never question what you was askin’ for/I gave you every single thing you was askin’ for.” -- West.

This is a track anybody can love. It features a sample from Lauryn Hill’s 1998 classic “Doo Wop (That Thing)” in its introduction. The song’s beat is bouncy and fun as Hill’s voice hums throughout the song.

The lyrics focus on West, again, talking loosely about his divorce with Kardashian and venting his frustrations about the collapse of the relationship. Despite the somber subject matter, it’s a groovy and easy listen.

“24”

“Please God make it alright/nothing else ever feels right.” -- West.

While Christianity has played a role in many of West’s songs from “Jesus Walks” to “Ultralight Beam”, many were skeptical when West declared he would no longer make secular music. Some of West’s best and most entertaining lyrics over the years have featured vulgar, cartoonish language that most would say shouldn’t be played in a church under any circumstances.

“24” features the Sunday Service Choir and West openly asking for God to reassure them and fix their problems. What makes this song replayable is the purity and simplicity of its message.

“Donda”

And what made the project extra special to me is/ I got a chance to share not only what he has meant to me/But what he has meant to a generation.” -- Donda West.

Despite being the titular character, West’s mother seems to drift out of focus for parts of the album. The song, “Donda”, though, features a moving spoken word by West’s mother about her son. 

It’s not quite as affectionate as “Hey Mama” from Late Registration but it’s still a strong indication of the bond that these two shared. West is joined by Stalone, The World Famous Tony Williams and the Sunday Service Choir for the introduction and outro which features them singing choir-esque praise vocals.

“Jail” and Jail Pt. 2”

Told him, ‘Stop all of that red cap, we goin' home’/ Not me with all of these sins, castin' stones/ This might be the return of The Throne (Throne)/Hova and Yeezus, like Moses and Jesus.” -- Jay-Z.

Jail and Jail Pt. 2 are noteworthy for features, but for vastly different reasons.

In track two, West raps about being metaphorically being locked in jail and again, telling Kim Kardashian that single life isn’t so bad. The second half of the song features a long-awaited feature by Jay-Z who was West’s partner on their song N*ggas in Paris which went 8x platinum.

For long-time fans, Jay-Z’s feature was a breath of fresh air and possibly a teaser for a sequel to Watch the Throne.

Jail Pt. 2, though, features Marilyn Manson and DaBaby as features instead of Jay-Z. Their inclusion has drawn ire because both have had controversies in the last few weeks. Marilyn Manson’s involves sexual assault and DaBaby is accused of making homophobic marks at a concert.

Donda is a conflicting amalgamation of ideas, Christianity, rhythm, love, guilt, joy, heartbreak and sin. For its ability to feature a wide range of emotion, to both take itself extremely seriously and still have a sense of humor at the same time, Donda stands as West’s best album since The Life of Pablo in 2016.

Donda is a lot like James Joyce’s novel, Ulysses. It’s long, frustrating, sometimes lacking in clarity but above all is a brilliant and imperfect work of art, a true representation of the maddening artist’s mind who created it even if he says it was released prematurely.

Rating: 4/5

@adonisfryer

af414219@ohio.edu