The second part of American Horror Story: Double Feature premiered on Sept. 29, 2021. (Photo provided via ahsfx_hb on Twitter)

TV Review: ‘Death Valley’ is off to a great start on ‘AHS: Double Feature’

Though we watched a new spin on a vampire story in part one of season 10, this week we’re seeing a more familiar story with all the regular excitement: aliens.

Last week on American Horror Story: Double Feature, the first part, “Red Tide,” ended with a less than thrilling conclusion. 

This week, in the first episode of part two, “Death Valley,” the audience gets to know the two stories we’ll be following for this part of the season. 

First is the storyline with Dwight Eisenhower (Neal McDonough) during his presidency, dealing with an alien invasion and the potential of Amelia Earhart (*Lily Rabe) having been abducted by aliens. This storyline features a woman alien who lost her son to the aliens and then became possessed by one and is forcing President Eisenhower to listen to her demands.

The second storyline follows a group of four friends in their early 20s as they’re having a reunion over the summer from their solo escapades in college. They decide to do a technology-free camping trip and somehow get wrapped up with the aliens. In a terrifying, tentacle-filled encounter, they are left scared and wondering what is happening. 

The audience finds out that Amelia Earhart in the older storyline is pregnant, which is nearly impossible because she’s been missing for 20 years and still looks exactly the same as the day she disappeared. 

In the present day timeline, all four of the friends (the two men included) become really sick after their encounter with the aliens and get confused as to what’s going on. The two women take a pregnancy test and it comes back positive, but when the two men take a pregnancy test it also comes back positive. 

“It means all four of us are pregnant,” Kendall (Kaia Gerber) said.

It seems they are pregnant with what is shaping up to be alien babies. 

This episode is a great start to the second half of the season. The trope of the black and white, poor-effects alien saga is almost comforting in its familiarity. The realism of the U.S. alien conspiracy coupled with the present day story is going to be really exciting for audiences to watch.

Here’s how some fans reacted on Twitter:

American Horror Story: Double Feature airs Wednesdays at 10 p.m. on FX. 

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu