Move over, PSL: Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew is taking over Starbucks

It’s that time of year again! As of August 24, Starbucks kicked autumn off with a few new seasonal drink additions. 

Fall is Starbucks’ Super Bowl; Pumpkin Spice Latte will always be our trusty quarterback, while the Apple Crisp Macchiato might be our standout rookie wide receiver. With some returning classic flavors, as well as some new, surely there’s a fall drink at Starbucks for everyone. Here are a few fall options to try this season at Starbucks: 

Pumpkin Spice Latte

First off, a popular classic is back on the menu: the Pumpkin Spice Latte. The pumpkin sauce’s combination of sweet and spice is the perfect way to spice up your regular latte. This drink is made of steamed milk, espresso shots and pumpkin sauce. The PSL is then topped with whipped cream and pumpkin spice topping. This drink can be ordered hot, iced or in Frappuccino form.

The PSL has reigned supreme for many years and won’t be stopping anytime soon. It has all the  fall vibes that make for the perfect drink while watching football or reading your favorite book by the fire. 

Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew

The Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew has also returned for the Halloween season. The Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew made its debut in 2019, making this its third year on the menu! The PCCB is Starbucks’ home brewed cold brew with vanilla syrup, topped with a sweet pumpkin cold foam and pumpkin spice topping. 

While newer than the Pumpkin Spice Latte, this drink has proved to be just as popular. Store manager at Starbucks’ Market Street store in New Albany, Ohio Gretchen Jenkins says that the drink is their best seller this year, even more popular than front runner Pumpkin Spice Latte.  

“We have added a Pumpkin Cream Cold Foam modifier button to the Starbucks Mobile App, which lets you add Pumpkin Cream Cold Foam to any beverage!” Jenkins says.

Apple Crisp Macchiato

The Apple Crisp Macchiato is new to the menu this year. This layered drink is made with an apple brown sugar syrup in milk, espresso shots on top and finished with a caramelized apple drizzle. This drink can be ordered iced or hot. 

Starbucks always takes a risk when adding new items to their menu. Two of their recent additions haven’t been as popular as anticipated such as the Funnel Cake Frappuccino and the Kiwi Star Fruit refresher. What makes the Apple Crisp Macchiato different?

“Most of our customers are enjoying trying out this new flavor,” Jenkins says. “You don’t know if you’ll like it till you try it!”

Pastries

In addition to adding fall themed drinks to their menu, Starbucks also has a few food items to introduce to us as the leaves fall. 

Starbucks added a Pumpkin Scone topped with a perfectly sweet icing that pairs great with their Veranda blend drip coffee! 

In addition, they brought back a customer favorite, the fox cake pops. The fox cake pops are vanilla flavored, and very popular because of its cute fox head decoration. This item appeals a lot to the younger kids because of the character on it, but can be enjoyable for anyone who likes cake pops!

Lastly, they also returned the Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffin. This muffin is the perfect blend of spices and the cream cheese center is sweet and creamy. Bonus tip: ask for the muffin warmed for a perfect fall muffin. 

Other fall options

One of the many reasons customers are so loyal to Starbucks as their go-to for coffee is the ability to customize drinks to their liking. This includes substituting default 2% milk for a non-dairy substitute such as almond, coconut, soy or oat milk. Another possible substitution or addition could be syrups or sauces in drinks. 

If you want to try a fall twist on one of your favorites, you’re encouraged to do so! Tim Theiss, supervisor at the Market Street Starbucks adds, “I like the apple syrup in an iced chai. It tastes like fall.”

Another popular substitution worth trying is Jenkins’ recommendation: trying the Apple Crisp Macchiato hot with soy milk. “I think that this flavor is more of an experience,” Jenkins raves. “It reminds me of fall, apple picking and having bonfires, all things that I think are better with a little chill in the air, so definitely hot!” 

The other most popular recommendation to customize regular drinks for fall is to order an Iced Shaken Espresso and substitute pumpkin sauce for classic syrup. The creamy pumpkin sauce shaken in with the warm espresso shots will create the perfect frothy drink. Bonus tip: ask for blonde espresso for a sweeter and more caffeine-packed drink. 

Mb690617@ohio.edu

@MaryBergs10