Ohio goalie Max Karlenzig (No. 30) makes a save during the Ohio hockey game against Adrian College on Friday, Feb. 8, 2021, at Bird Arena in Athens, Ohio. The Bobcats won the game 2-1. 

Hockey: Ohio to open the season against John Carroll

Ohio has been carrying out the same tradition almost every year since 2012: defeating John Carroll to open the season. 

On Friday, the Bobcats will look to continue the tradition, but this time it will be special. It will be the first time fans will get to watch the Bobcats take on an opponent in person at Bird Arena in over a year and a half.

Opponent: John Carroll 

Series Location: Bird Arena (Athens, Ohio)

Series Dates: Sept. 24 and 25 at 7 p.m.

Series Information: 

The last time these two teams played a series, Ohio crushed John Carroll 6-1 on Sept. 27, 2019. The Bobcats showed no mercy, handing the Blue Streaks another loss on Sept. 28, beating them 7–3. However, overconfidence can be kryptonite for any team. It is important that Ohio stays focused on the gameplay it has practiced all summer and takes the game one minute at a time. 

Ohio showed just how solid it is at almost every position Saturday during its Green vs. White scrimmage. Key players to watch include Ohio’s underclassmen who are eager to make their presence known in Bird Arena and use what they have learned from the veterans throughout camp. Also watch out for sophomore goalies Max Karlenzig and Matthew Server as they look to protect Ohio’s net and put on an even better show than they did last year. 

@molly_burchard8

mb712319@ohio.edu