Kudos from Kayla: ‘Christian girl autumn’ needs to stop

Fall weather is right around the corner and the change in clothes might be the best part. However, there’s one style that has become a stereotype around this time of year, but it needs to be stopped.

A once-popular style around 2010 has turned into a joke in recent years. However, although joked by many of a younger age, the style is still sported by many middle-aged women today. The style falls under the name “Christian girl autumn.”

“Christian girl autumn,” which originated from tweets simply calling this certain style by this name, has become more of a joke than an actual style. 

For those wondering what the style is, it consists of infinity scarves, chunky cardigans and shirts with sayings like “pumpkin spice and everything nice.” Delving further into the detestable style, many people attribute the dislike for the style to the dislike of skinny jeans and catchy quotes.

During the 2010s, the style was increasingly popular among those who were growing up in the time of YouTubers like Bethany Mota and Zoella. These YouTubers provided fall lookbooks and have created a foundational style for many – they had a hold on the minds of every preteen from about 2010-2016.

Due to the style being correlated with the 2010s, seeing it nowadays seems abnormal. Today, many posts are misconstrued and used for the goal of creating a “meme,” however in hindsight, this style was started as something expressive and fun.

“Christian Girl Autumn” has become the new “Hot Girl Summer,” has become a headline in recent years. The conflict with the style comes from the assumption the people in the photo that went viral on TikTok are racist or homophobic, but that’s not the case. The internet was able to take a style and build such animosity for it that it eventually turned into a toxic style.

However, the assumptions affiliated with the style are not true, and the original “Christian Girl Autumn” woman, Caitlin Covington, is only a “Southern Belle” with positive intentions. She’s made it known on Twitter that she doesn’t fit the stereotype of the meme.

Aside from the wreckage to the style caused by social media, the style itself is so 2010s. With a growing, evolving world of style, it’s time to say goodbye to infinity scarves. It’s time to spice up the wardrobe with a new pair of flare jeans, a perfectly oversized sweater and trade in the riding boots for a pair of Doc Martens.

Despite replacing the clothes, the pumpkin spice lattes can stay.

Kayla Bennett is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Tell Kayla by tweeting her at @kkayyben.