Kudos from Kayla: Addressing the skinny jean controversy

It’s time to address an ongoing, never-ending debate among anyone into fashion these days: skinny jeans. Skinny jeans have been a topic of conversation for awhile now, people either love them or hate them – there’s no in between.

Skinny jeans gained their popularity in the late 2000s, early 2010s. They gained popularity through being seen on big stars like Blake Lively, specifically during her role in Gossip Girl, Kim Kardashian and Miley Cyrus walking the streets.

Skinny jeans quickly became a necessity in everyone’s closet. They were supported by all ages and seen almost everywhere. Skinny jeans came in all colors and patterns, which was a huge hit for many. Dark wash, light wash, rhinestone-studded, patterns sewn on the pockets – anything was obtainable.

Most popular amongst middle-aged women, these jeans became a quick statement of millennials, especially during “Christian girl autumn.”

Although skinny jeans were all the rage, nowadays the only people seen wearing them are millennials who continued to think they were trendy when they first became popular.

Specifically, there’s one group whose sole purpose is to write skinny jeans out of existence: Gen-Z

Gen-Z has recently made it clear their love for mom jeans and flare jeans are higher than their love ever was for skinny jeans. Skinny jeans are becoming obsolete, for consumers are matching what the younger generations find trendy. Gen-Z has built a hatred around skinny jeans and has publicized it on TikTok and Twitter.

Alongside an outdated stemmed hate, skinny jeans have been the most difficult when it comes to sizing. People want to wear something they feel comfortable in and they can move around in, not feel stiff. Skinny jeans don’t offer the same flexibility as leggings or yoga pants, they aren’t something to lounge around in.

Another concern skinny jeans raise is the concept of their pockets. Skinny jeans, mainly women’s skinny jeans, often have faux-pockets, limiting the little resourcefulness the jeans had to start with.

Sizing for skinny jeans is so tedious and varies from store to store, which could only be confusing for young minds. Skinny jeans are hated by some people for the negative memories they bring up.

Skinny jeans are controversial, but I may have an unpopular opinion. Although I could talk about all the negatives, I feel I need to come clean. Personally, I do prefer straight-leg or flare jeans but occasionally I do rock a pair of skinny jeans. They’re perfect for a more put together look with an oversized sweatshirt or are perfect for looking older – they are usually worn by millennials after all. 

I see where the negatives and the want for “cancelling” skinny jeans comes from but I think the people should wear what they want and, of course, have their own opinions.

Kayla Bennett is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Tell Kayla by tweeting her at @kkayyben.