7 spook-tacular songs for October

Good news: spooky season is officially upon us. 

As the leaves in Athens begin to fall, it’s the time of the year when most Bobcats are shifting their attention to one of the most exciting times of the year: Halloween. With the excitement of planning costumes, carving pumpkins and scheduling all of your fall fun, it’s time to make a playlist to accompany you through it all. 

With so many songs of the season to choose from, it’s essential to have a combination of classics, remixes and a few new bangers. Here are seven songs to add to your playlist in October:

"The Great Pumpkin" by Turtls

Lo-fi hip hop group Turtls brings the true Halloween spirit with "The Great Pumpkin." After an intro sample from It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, the track swings into an ominous piano loop with a classic lo-fi groove. This is a song to remind us of the nostalgic essence of the season—trick or treating, picking pumpkins and spending the night out with friends.

Best said by Charlie Brown himself, "Don't take it too hard, Linus / I've done plenty of stupid stuff in my life, too." This is a great track to not only for getting us in the spirit of Halloween, but a perfect song to have in the background while hanging out with friends or for long study sessions.

"Thriller (Steve Aoki Remix)" by Steve Aoki

Steve Aoki brings an electronic spin like no other with rolling bass, heavy drops and vocal chops from the legendary vocals of Micheal Jackson. The reverberation in the background adds to the synth drop with the oh-so-familiar classic Halloween song. 

Transitions to harrowing organ chords set the scene for the terrifying monologue from Vincent Price – mashing the best of the original to this thrilling remix.

"Bad Moon Rising" by Creedence Clearwater Revival

At first listen, "Bad Moon Rising" is a very upbeat and happy instrumental song your parents probably played around the house when you were younger. 

However, the lyrics take on a bleak meaning, hinting at an apocalypse inspired by a movie titled The Devil and Daniel Webster, where a hurricane wipes out most of a town. These lyrics warn us to be weary of the future of Halloween night, with people running around in costumes and the full moon in the sky. Remember, folks, "Don't go around alone tonight / It's bound to take your life there's a bad moon on the rise.”

"Monster Mash" by Bobby "Boris" Pickett

Nothing screams Halloween more than the "Monster Mash." With the iconic sounds of a witch's brew bubbling in the background and the horrid sound of chains dragged across the floor, the songs sets the scene of Pickett's laboratory, where he is creating the atrocities of the night.

A classic then and a classic now, the “Monster Mash” is a tried and true song for your Halloween house party. 

"My Family" by Migos, Snoop Dogg, Karol G & Rock Mafia

Migos, Snoop Dogg and Karol G team up for a hip-hop remix of the classic Addams Family theme song. Hip hop beats and increased percussion add a new twist to the iconic piano melody. 

Karol G and Quavo rap about the importance of family, adding a new modern touch to the Addams Family (2019) movie and appealing to the new generation of listeners to this Halloween classic.

"Spooky Scary Skeletons" by Andrew Gold

More than likely, you have probably heard this iconic xylophone melody or the drop of the intro into "Spooky Scary Skeletons" all over your TikTok or YouTube feeds.

Initially released in 1996, Andrew Gold takes us through a marching drum beat that is the perfect song for your fall run. If you're looking to boost your mood, just throw this banger on and feel your feet start to tap. 

"Monster" by Kanye West

This 2010 track is delivered with heavy distorted vocals, a bombastic drum pattern and the lyrics “I shoot the lights out / Hide ‘til it’s bright out.” 

“Monster” hints at the murderous monsters thriving in the dark scenes of the night. West continues the spooky theme by referencing iconic horror classics such as Saw and American Psycho. It’s the perfect energy booster on any Halloween party playlist.

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu