City Council meets together on Monday, Sept. 13, 2021.

City Council: Body discusses income tax increase for 2022 primary election ballot

Athens City Council met Monday to discuss a resolution regarding an income tax increase for the 2022 primary election ballot. 

The Finance and Personnel committee introduced a resolution to place the issue of increasing the city income tax by 0.1% per year for 20 years on the ballot for the next primary election on May 3, 2022. If passed, the resolution would go into effect Jan. 1, 2023.

The purpose of the resolution is to provide funds for public safety, capital improvements and equipment, Councilman Sam Crowl, D-3rd Ward, said.  

Council then discussed an ordinance concerning short term rentals in Athens. Alan Swank, who will replace Councilwoman Chris Fahl, D-4th Ward, as Council’s fourth ward representative in January 2022, raised concerns about the ordinance. He asked that the ordinance be put aside in order for a short term rental policy that protects the property and entrepreneurial rights of both renters and people who live in the city be implemented.

Swank also said he is concerned about the aspect of the ordinance in which citizens can police each other regarding short-term rental violations.  

Fahl said citizens already police each other every day, so she doesn’t believe citizen policing will be an issue. 

@paytondaug

pd162120@ohio.edu