Here's our favorite Christmas movies

Christmas break is the time of year to kick back, forget about classes, drink hot chocolate and, yes, watch all the holiday movies we possibly can in the span of a few weeks. Nothing beats the feeling of turning on Freeform’s 25 Days of Christmas special and seeing your favorite movie airing on TV or watching the 24-hour Christmas Story marathon on TBS. 

While the holidays are the perfect time to relax and unwind, the best part is cozying up with our loved ones to watch our most favorite movies of the season, even if it’s the hundredth time. Here are a few of our favorite Christmas movies:

1. Elf

The epitome of the Christmas and holiday season, Elf is a classic must-watch for my family and I every year. Its outlandish and over-the-top storyline adds to the funny and witty acting that never fails to put a smile on my face. Some of the most iconic pop culture references come from the movie as well, such as: “Bye Buddy, hope you find your dad!” and “The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear.” Overall, Elf is just a feel good movie that never gets old and will forever embody the most magical time of the year for me. -Mimi Calhoun, @mimi_calhoun

2. Dr. Seuss’ How The Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)

When it comes to famous Christmas characters, the Grinch is one of the most complex. He’s one of the characters you fear when you watch Dr. Seuss’ How The Grinch Stole Christmas for the first time as a 5-year-old. But, once you rewatch the movie at an older age, you begin to realize that the Grinch is no villain but one of the most heroic and relatable characters of all time. He’s someone who faced bullying and rejection his whole life and still ends up teaching an important lesson to all those who have wronged him in the end. Per the title and plot, the Grinch ends up “stealing Christmas” by taking all of the presents from Whoville and eventually saves it in the end by returning them all the following day. However, after the Whos think Christmas is ruined when the presents disappear, it’s the Grinch who allows them the chance to realize the true meaning of the holiday is about family and loved ones. It’s a solid 10/10. -Mady Lewellyn, @maadilewellyn

3. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

This has been a Christmas movie my family has watched together for many years. However, I don’t know why we even bother watching it anymore because my dad says every character’s line before they do. Regardless, it wouldn’t be the holiday season if it wasn’t filled with references to this movie. I will never forget the year my grandpa asked me to say grace like Aunt Bethany before Christmas dinner to a full table of unsuspecting family members. To me, this movie is the epitome of the meaning of Christmas. Even when nothing goes according to plan, you can always find something to laugh about at a fun, old-fashioned family Christmas. -Caroline Kammerer, @carolinekam12

4. Jingle All the Way 

If there’s one thing I value in life, it’s honesty, and Jingle All the Way has honesty about the holiday season in droves. Sure, it may be completely over the top and ridiculous in its extremes, like with Big Show playing an angry, beefy Santa and Arnold Schwarzenegger flying around in a jetpack as Turbo Man at a holiday parade, but its core is that of cynicism. It’s a film about the massive capitalist pull and FOMO of the Christmas season, especially for children and the parents that have to buy presents for them. The film’s ridiculous, but it’s the grounding force of the story of a man trying to connect with his son that really cements it as requiring a yearly Christmas Eve rewatch. -Zach James, @zachj7800

5. A Christmas Story 

I love this movie because of how funny and simple it is. Ralphie Parker has my heart always! I have to watch this movie every year around Christmas time; it puts me in the Christmas spirit, and it reminds me of the first time I ever watched it with my grandma a couple years ago. The plot itself is also entertaining and relatable, even if it is set in the 1940s. My favorite part of the film is when Ralphie sticks his tongue to a frozen pole and can’t get it off, and of course, the famous line: “You’ll shoot your eye out!” -Grace Koennecke, @grace_koe