Photo provided by Ally Perkins.

Stacked Cats prepare for first national tournament

The women’s ultimate frisbee program was established at Ohio University in the ‘90s. It coined its current name, Stacked Cats, in 2001. The team has never been to a national tournament, but that is all about to change starting Dec. 17. 

Stacked Cats’ season usually occurs in the spring; however, the coronavirus pandemic postponed their season, giving doubts to those who considered this to be the end of their ultimate frisbee career. Yet, another chance was granted to teammates who graduated last year when their season was moved to the fall of 2021. 

“I think it’s been really fun to see multiple years of recruiting now because of the COVID scare,” Jane Armstrong, one of Stacked Cats’ captains, said. “Everyone gets to still come here and play,  so it’s fun to be back in the swing of what we came into our freshman year.”

The team will compete next month in California, a warmer climate than the one they had during their regional game, which was invaded by constant snowfall. Their performance during the regional game is what landed them one of the bids for nationals given by the Ohio Valley Conference. 

Although a trip to nationals is a special accomplishment, the captains and team share sentiments and bonds that have shaped their college and life experiences.  

Ally Perkins, one of Stacked Cats’ captains, started playing ultimate frisbee when she was a senior in high school, and that was also when she met some of her now teammates. For Perkins, ultimate frisbee is something she could not imagine living without. 

“The people (on the team) and people within the community are some of the best people I’ve ever met,” Perkins said. “It’s such a welcoming environment. I always feel safe. I always feel at home when I’m playing ultimate.”

The seniors who spent the past four years on the team have witnessed a lot of change and growth during their time playing for Stacked Cats. 

“It’s insane to me how freshman year we went from maybe like 12 people, to being able to go to tournaments and no less than nine play, (and) this year having 20 people,” Delaney Marsalek, one of Stacked Cat’s captains, said.

Stacked Cats fosters friendship and encourages people to join no matter their level of experience, making for a more wholesome experience. Sometimes Stacked Cats will begin practices at 10:30 p.m. and will not end until midnight, even in the middle of December, because it is simply fun to play the game with friends.

“I just happened to sign-up and go to the first meeting and, I don't know why, but I went to the first practice and then fell in love with it,” Armstrong said. “It's literally like a whole family. I just love the traditions of it.”

While Stacked Cats go on to play in their program’s first nationals, win or lose, they will always have a tight-knit family to be proud of. 

“It’s really crazy and honoring to be a part of this experience and see every single person on the team grow with me, and being able to be a leader and lead that growth as well is incredible,” Perkins said.

@mckennachristy1

mc957019@ohio.edu