Weekender Briefs: Jam at Benefest, celebrate holidays with Krampus parade

Friday, December 3

Telescope Viewing at the Observatory at 5:30 p.m., hosted at the Ohio University Observatory, 174 Water Tower Dr. Guests are invited to take a look at Jupiter and Saturn either Friday or Saturday night. The event will be canceled if it’s cloudy or rainy. 

Admission: Free

10th Annual Benefest at 7 p.m., held at The Union, 18 W. Union St. All proceeds will benefit Stuart’s Afterschool Music Program and The Gathering Place. Artists performing on Friday include In Flow, Water Witches, Boy Jorts and Sneakthief. There will also be performances on Saturday night at the same time.

Admission: $8 for those older than 21, $10 for those under 21

COVID Flow: Livin’ That Dream at 7:30 p.m., hosted by the School of Dance at Putnam Hall in the Shirley Wimmer Dance Theater, 96 E. Union St. Join the School of Dance as they continue to explore the effect of COVID-19 on the whole self. There will also be a show Saturday at the same time. 

Admission: $8

Saturday, December 4

Athens Farmers Market at 9 a.m., hosted by Athens Farmers Market, 1002 E. State St. Shop for locally grown and locally made foods and goods at the farmers market. The market accepts SNAP and credit cards. Masks are recommended, and social distancing protocols are in place.

Admission: Free

Reindeer Run at 9 a.m., hosted by Friends of Athens CASA beginning at Eclipse Company Store, 11309 Jackson Dr., The Plains. This 5k run and walk will feature costumes, hot chocolate and Santa. All registered participants receive a jingle bell necklace to wear during their run/walk. 

Admission: $20 for adults, $10 for youth under 18, $30 for adults registering the day of

Holiday Prints, Plants & Pots Sale at 10 a.m., hosted by ARTS/West, 132 W. State St. Get a head start on holiday shopping with this unique experience focusing on handmade artwork, live plants and more. The event will also be open on Sunday beginning at 12 p.m. 

Admission: Free

Krampus Parade at 5 p.m., hosted by Chosen Pathways Spiritual Emporium, 400 E. State St. Suite A. Meeting at Chosen Pathways, participants are encouraged to dress in costumes as the group will walk to the Athens Community Center for doughnuts, hot cocoa and cider. Bring bells, drums and handheld lanterns (no flashlights) and bring in the holidays in Athens. 

Admission: Free

Sunday, December 5

Athens Holiday Market at 11 a.m., hosted by the Athens Art Guild, Athens Farmers Market and The Market on State. It will be hosted by Market on State, 1002 E. State St., in the former Elder Beermans. Check out locally grown and locally made goods to purchase for holiday gifts. 

Admission: Free

“James and the Giant Peach Jr” at 2 p.m., presented by ABC Players at Stuart’s Opera House, 52 Public Square, Nelsonville. Join the players as James discovers magic in a giant peach and embarks on a larger-than-life musical adventure. 

Admission: $8-$12 

Bella Voce Concert at 6 p.m., hosted by the College of Fine Arts at Athens First United Methodist Church, 2 S. College St. Under the direction of Dominique Petite of the School of Music, Bella Voce is an inclusive treble choir.

Admission: Free

@acarter3602

ac732319@ohio.edu