BedPost: Great sex doesn’t require no strings attached

If society’s collective emphasis for college students is on academic success, hooking up takes a close second. 

In nearly every movie or TV show about the “college experience,” a regular weekend for a college student looks like some variation of this: going out to a party or bar, drinking or doing drugs (or both, I’m not judging) and sneaking into a bedroom with the stranger or loose-acquaintance of your dreams for a 50/50 shot at great sex. 

For some, that sounds like the perfect ending to a night. College is all about exploring what you like, and there’s nothing wrong with exploring your sexuality by rounding the bases with no obligation to date your sexual partners.

However, for some, that isn’t the best way. If you’re up for amazing, experimental sex, but not down with getting busy with no strings attached, I’m here to tell you that that’s OK, too. 

Hooking up is not the end-all be-all of fun sex in college. For those in relationships, there’s something special about consistently having sex with the same person. Whereas hookups (even extended ones, like situationships) tend to be isolated with the primary purpose of achieving that ever-elusive orgasm, sex in relationships allows you to dive into your partner’s preferences and figure out what makes them really feel good. Knowing where to lick, rub or bite; learning how to move your hips or where to put your hands during sex are all things that are unique to your partner and come from trial and error in relationships. And if you’re not pleased with the state of the sex in your relationship, BedPost can help with that.

For those who hate hookups and are the sole participant in their sexual experiences, the possibilities are endless. Taking care of business yourself opens up some opportunities to explore masturbation. If you need something a bit more adventurous than your hands, there’s no harm in investing in a fleshlight, dildo or any other type of self-use toy (some may find this a bit excessive, but as we’ve established before, college is a time of sexual awakening, so go for it!). 

An essential addition to self-pleasure is porn, conveniently hidden within all of our private browsers just waiting to be clicked on. PornHub is the most popular out there, but some other sites are catered specifically for particular audiences, including Bellesa, which features “porn by women.”

Anyway, the case can certainly be made for the benefits of hookups, and if you’re on the fence, you can by all means give one (or two, or three) a try — safely, of course. But, if you’re 100% certain hookups just aren’t for you, there’s nothing wrong with that. You still have plenty of options, so hop under the covers with your partner or make that erotic Amazon purchase. Just maybe don’t use your parents’ account. 

BedPost is a relationship column that does not reflect the views of The Post.