OU students sue the university, solar power in Athens grows and some tips for internships season

Solar-PM_Spencer

The City of Athens, many local residents and local businesses have recently taken steps to reduce the impact of carbon in their personal lives and on the overall Athens environment. Many local homes and businesses feature solar panels on roofs or the grounds of the respective properties. The city is also in the process of developing a new solar energy project, which would potentially reduce the energy bills for several community spaces within a few years. 

MAXIN_studentsuit_MB.jpeg

A group of 16 individuals, one Ohio University employee and 15 OU students, are suing the university over its vaccination mandate that was implemented in August 2021. The plaintiffs in the lawsuit claim the mandate violates the Ohio Constitution and an individual's right to deny medical treatment, among other claims. OU is prepared to defend its position in court. 

CHSP-Vaccines_Swanson
Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine keeps a vaccine drop off sign planted outside for the Athens City County Health Department.

The Department of Child and Family Studies has developed a child life program at Ohio University, in partnership with the Athens City-County Health Department, in hopes to ease the nerves young children face when receiving their COVID-19 vaccination. Those efforts include keeping children occupied during their 15 minute observation period and consistent, friendly communication from staff. 

OUvKent-WBB_Stark

Ohio University guard Erica Johnson (No.4) going up for a layup against Kent State guard Hannah Young (No.32) at the Convo on Wednesday Jan. 12th, 2022.

Women's Basketball: Ohio won its game against Kent State Wednesday 70-64. Cece Hooks scored 26 points and sunk two free throws, securing the win. Erica Johnson also returned to the floor Wednesday after missing a game due to COVID-19 protocols. 

Dollenmayer_5tipsinternship_oj.png

With the internship season in full swing, many students are feeling the pressure. The internship search is scary and the application process may seem daunting. Before you start stress-checking your email multiple times a day for acceptances or rejections, here are 7 tips to help you land that dream job.

Molly Wilson

News Editor