Weekender Briefs: Play intramural basketball, learn to cook vegan

Friday, Jan. 14

Free Christmas Tree Pickup of discarded live Christmas trees will take place all day in the city of Athens. Residents should place their tree by the curb and call 740-592-3343 to schedule their pick up.

Admission: Free

A Major Exploration Workshop will be conducted from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. via Microsoft Teams. The workshop will help students who are curious about their major or undecided explore options. Come gain valuable resources to help with finding a career, enhancing self-awareness and aligning your skills and interests with the best major for you.

Admission: Free

The Pen on Paper Writing Group has its first meeting this semester virtually via Microsoft Teams from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Hosted by the Ohio University Women’s Center, participants should bring papers, blogs, articles, stories and any other written work to share and work on in a supportive community. The informal group will meet every Friday, and participants can come and go as they wish.

Admission: Free

Ethan Timm is performing from 9 p.m. to 12 a.m. at the Smiling Skull Saloon, 108 W. Union St. The acoustic performer specializes in classic rock favorites and his own originals, and he takes requests. Come catch this Ohio musician’s smooth act live.

Admission: $4

Saturday, Jan. 15

The Intramural Preseason Basketball Tournament will take place at Ping Student Recreation Center, 82 South Green Drive, all day. The 5v5 basketball tournament will be played as a round robin, and teams do not need to be registered for the spring league to compete. Come try out your skills and prep for Sunday’s bracketed tournament and the spring intramural season.

Admission: $5

Terry Hermsen is performing at the Athens Public Library, 30 Home St., at 2 p.m. Come see the exciting musical poetry performance intended to spark climate action and a sense of hope. 

Admission: Free

The Insect! With Acrylic Grooves will perform at The Union, 18 W. Union St., at 8 p.m. Doors will open at 7 p.m. for the long-awaited return of The Insect! with a performance featuring Acrylic Grooves.

Admission: $8 for 21+, $10 for under 21 

Sunday, Jan. 16

A Murals of Nelsonville Walking Tour will take place from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m., meeting at the Nelsonville Public Library, 95 W. Washington St. Lynn Garbo will lead participants from mural to mural, sharing the stories behind each painting before a follow up discussion at Rocky Boot to get warm with hot drinks from the cafe. 

Admission: $20

A Vegan Cooking and Nutrition Class will be held at 10 a.m. at Tavolino, 9 N. Shafer St. The three hour class will explain how to create balanced meals that are flavorful and nutritious, and participants will even cook a vegan meal together that they can take home to enjoy.

Admission: $50 per person

Popebama Concert at Glidden Hall will begin at 8 p.m. Hosted by the Ohio University Composers’ Association, the New York based experimental duo will present originally composed songs along with works by three other artists. Come catch the unique, high energy show.

Admission: Free

@katie_millard11

km053019@ohio.edu

Katie Millard

Editor-in-Chief