Photo provided by video captura via WCPO.

Here's how to watch the Super Bowl in Athens

Super Bowl LVI isn’t just any regular Super Bowl; this year, it's different. Not only is it the Cincinnati Bengals' 3rd shot at winning American football’s highest honor, but also Athens’ hometown hero Joe Burrow’s first run at the title. 

While this is an exciting season for all Ohioans, it means a little extra to this town, so for the students who call Athens home, here are four ways to make sure you don’t miss out on the championship game this Sunday, even if you don’t have cable TV. 

Bars 

Not everyone has the money to pay for cable TV, but do you know who does? Every bar on Court Street that has a television. 

Every weekend (and even weekdays on numerous occasions) Ohio University students throw enough money at these liquor-selling establishments to fund a cable subscription that allows for sporting events to be viewed while alcohol is being enjoyed.

That being the case, sports bars such as Lucky’s Sports Bar, Courtside Pizza, Broney’s Alumni Grill, The Red Brick Tavern, The Pigskin Bar and Grill and other establishments are sure to have the game on for every eager barfly’s entertainment. 

Chances are, as smart businesses, these bars will probably have deals on things like pitchers to entice avid football watchers to pick their bar over others, another good reason to make an appearance (if you are of age according to at least one form of ID). 

Peacock/ NBC

This year, NBC has the privilege of broadcasting the Super Bowl. They were supposed to cover the game in 2021 but decided to swap years with CBS in order to cover both the Winter Olympics and the Super Bowl at the same time. 

If a lack of television is your main problem to view this championship game, NBC’s website will offer it for free. All that is required is the username and password to one's cable provider, which can be given to you by a fortunate soul (maybe your parents), if you're lucky enough. 

Peacock, NBC’s streaming service, will also be covering the Super Bowl for their premium members, however, free trials are also available in case one has the urge to suddenly try out Peacock’s wonderful streaming service for only a couple hours this upcoming Sunday. 

Free trials (Hulu, Sling, Fubo, YouTube TV) 

Speaking of taking advantage of free trials, Peacock isn’t the only streaming service that will be showing the game.

Platforms such as Hulu, Sling, Youtube TV and DIRECTV will be premiering the Super Bowl and offer easy ways to sign up for their free trials if you aren’t already a premium member. 

It’s a legal loophole in the system that is completely full-proof, especially for students who don’t have room for expenses such as a premium account. Just don’t forget to cancel your “subscription” afterward. 

Sports oriented restaurants

Finally, for those who are not of age to enjoy the Super Bowl inside of Court Street’s many bars, there are other restaurants that will also be showing the game. 

Restaurants such as Buffalo Wild Wings, Applebee's and Jackie's O’s Brewpub, are establishments that focus more on food and allow for underage viewers to grab a table with their friends, as opposed to standing in a crowded bar. 

Similar to other business establishments, it's a safe bet that these restaurants will also have deals on things like wings or appetizers for this special occasion.  

All eyes are on Joe Burrow this weekend, so make sure yours will be as well. Even if you don’t own a TV, or have cable, there are still ways to get your football fix. 

With all sorts of streaming services that will be featuring this game, as well as the bars/restaurants, there's no excuse not to tune in, unless you have an exam on Monday, and even then, that's hardly an excuse.   

Go Bengals! 

@Chomicki_11

CC142520@ohio.edu